Chapter 8: Surprise!!!

Sarah's POV:

Colette and I have been working on a little thing for nick and charlie for her birthday. They've been amazing parents and have been so kind to keep me updated in her life and being able to see her often. I'm very very thankful to be able to be in her life. I push the wholesomeness out as we sit for lunch, for it's almost show time.

Nick was setting food on the table as he sat down and charlie was getting colette in her high chair.

They've been talking about work and new achievements for Colette.

Charlie: "Well, my one client, who is in Nicks class, has a massive crush on him!"

I laugh and Nick is silent.

Nick: "wait what who?"

Sarah: "Nicky! his job is confidential. Don't be rude."

Charlie and I just laugh and laugh, nick looks absolutely panicked.

Nick: "What am i supposed to do?? I can't say anything but i don't want to seem like i'm trying!!"

Charlie places him hand on nicks

Charlie: "honey, it's fine, you didn't do anything, i'll lead him away from adults."

Nick: "wait adults? like in general?"

Charlie coughs and starts to feed colette.

I'm just as confused as nicky as we just stare at each other.

Sarah: "Anyways, Colette and I have plans after lunch just so you guys know."

Nick: "Mum what?"

Sarah: "Well, you two are so kind to keep me in your lives so, i thought i could give you guys an afternoon break. I'll take Colette back to my house and bring her back for dinner and cake."

Charlie: "Oh Sarah that is so kind. Thank you so much!"

Nick: "Yeah seriously mum you didn't have to do anything. We are truly doing the bare minimum."

Sarah: "oh hush. let me do this for you guys!"

They look at each other with a smile and nod. I look at colette.

Sarah: "Hear that colette? we are gonna have such a fun time together!!"

She giggles. She's been babbling about this entire time, but we all just kind of ignore it to have our own conversation. Although, we occasionally nod and agree with whatever she's saying. It's weird having a toddler in my life again. The pretending i know what she's saying and how such a cute little thing has so much energy. It's quite nice though.

We all finish up lunch and i help clean up before leaving with my granddaughter.

Nick: "Okay mum please be back at about 5:30. Thats 4 hours together and enough time before bed to have cake and a bath."

Sarah: "yes nicky, i know how to do math."

My son gives me a look while charlie giggles.

After a little more chatting, colette and I are ready to leave (by the front door)

Charlie: "please don't forget to put her down for a nap. about an hour! we already got her down for 30 minutes so and hour is enough."

Sarah: "of course, darling."

Nick: "oh and remember to give her water not juice! she's already had some today."

I just nod and right as charlie opens his mouth to speak again, i pick colette up. Signaling that i know what im doing and im ready to leave.

Nick: "alright mum, be careful driving and text me when you get home."

He gets closer and kisses colette's head

Nick: "bye baby! we'll see you later!! be good for mimi."

Charlie just kisses her head and nods to me.

I get her in her car seat as they stand by the door, nick has his arm around charlie's waist while charlie has his hand of his chest. They truly are perfect for each other.

I start to pull out of the driveway and wave as they wave back.