04 | the great snack debate

PERCY HAD BEEN INFORMED THAT HE WAS THE LIGHTNING THEIF. this was a problem because, well, he didn't steal zeus' master lightning bolt like everyone thought he did.

it was up to him to pick two quest mates to journey all the way to los angeles to get the bolt from hades in the underworld. he was resistant, at first, until grover informed him that his mother was still alive and being kept in hades' realm.

to everyone's shock, percy picked annabeth and grover to accompany him on the cross-country journey.

this seemed to bother luke, who had thought he earned the trust of the young boy, but andromeda didn't mind. she had hope that her time would come, and hope that percy would stay alive long enough to see their fate.

but chiron worried about this quest. annabeth and percy had never been on a quest before, and grover had been on plenty — but almost none were successsful. he needed someone to ensure their safety. after all, they were their parents' pride and joy. he knew athena and poseidon would rain fire on camp half blood if they discovered their favorite children were sent on a suicide quest.

so he pulled some strings. talked to the oracle.

and sent andromeda to pack her things and get ready.

the older girl was used to packing her life away and heading off, her few years in foster care training her well. she didn't have much, just her bow and arrow, a couple of changes of clothes, and a photo of her and her father.

she shoved her things into a little suitcase, and zipped it shut with ease.

as she looked around at the empty hermes cabin, she remembered her life at camp half blood. sure, it was just a cot on the floor, but the hermes cabin was the first place since her old apartment that she really felt safe.

she remembered that feeling of irrepressible dread she had the day her father was killed. she hadn't felt that in the past four years, and she wasn't sure if she had it in her to feel it again — but she didn't have a choice.

the girl was certain that this quest wasn't for her; that it was a mere babysitting job, but she did really care for those three kids, so she was going to put her all into keeping them alive.

"oh no," luke groaned as he entered the cabin and noticed her packing her things. "don't tell me you're leaving me, too."

with a smile, andromeda spun around to face the boy. "i'm afraid so."

luke sighed, leaning against the door frame, watching her. "first annabeth, now you. camp's losing its charm."

andromeda chuckled, the soft sound echoing in the empty cabin. "i'll be back before you know it. besides, i need to make sure those kids survive this quest."

luke smirked, walking over to her. "then i'm glad i caught you before you left." he told her, pulling her dagger that he'd borrowed during capture the flag and holding it out to her. "make sure you don't have too much fun without me."

she stared at the little purple dagger, her mind racing. "keep it safe." she told him, closing his hands around it. "you never know when it could come in handy."

luke took the dagger, twirling it expertly in his hand. "i'll guard it with my life." he said sincerely, before he raised his eyebrows. "but who's going to keep me in check without you around?"