Ch.3

Alone

The following days after pa left were slow at best, and disheartening at worst. Although I walk through the village daily no one dared talk to me. Not even Arthur or Mary which was confusing. I didn't think anything had happened during these past days. I was truly getting very emotional though.

I make my way to the food stalls to buy some vegetables and bread for myself. I make my way up to Meredith's stall and smile at her kindly, which only made her frown deepen. She was an older lady and was very traditional.

"Can I get a loaf of bread and some radish and potatoes please?" I ask as I sift through my leather satchel for my coin purse.

"15 silver." Meredith says sharply. I freeze and feel my heart drop to my stomach.

"Pardon?" I ask her, surely I heard her wrong. That should've only costed 7 bronze.

"If you don't have it, then leave." She states as she moves me to the side by my shoulder to get the next person. I step away looking at the ground in disbelief. I slowly walk aimlessly through the market feeling my heart speed up from panic.

"Oh sweet rose, what is the matter?" I hear that grinding voice and a harsh grip to my wrist. I didn't have much fight in me so I allow him to turn me around.

"Nothing, Victor, just prices have gone up it seems. Are we being taxed again?" I say with a breathlessness to my voice. I am holding back tears and can feel my head begin to pound as he walk beside me my wrist still in his grasp.

"It seems so. I can help you if you'd like?" He offers me with a smug smile. I couldn't pass up the offer and give him a nod. "Please if you don't mind, Pa should be-" I was whipped to a stop by Victor pushing me against the stone wall of a nearby building in the alley we walked down. I hadn't even noticed he had led me to a place by ourselves. My heart raced into panic.

"Of course, if you marry me." He snarls as he tightens his grip onto my wrists. Surely I will have bruises when he decided to let go. I give him a nervous chuckle and shake my head.

"Oh stop jesting, and you made my library close to me as well for Pa not giving you his blessing?" I ask in a joke. Which made me stop when I saw his face serious as ever. My breath caught in my throat as felt my skin become clammy.

"I should get going soon, Victor. If you'd allow me by?" I ask him nervously as I try to get my wrists released. I want to get away as soon as I can, my anxiety was rising by the second and his proximity was not helping. He smelled of gunpowder and tobacco with the hint of body order. He was making me hold back gags of repulse.

"I should think that if I ruin your reputation then you may be inclined to have to marry me, yes?" Victor stated with a devious look in his eyes. I felt faint from panic. I felt as if I was electrified and slowed down all at the same time. My heart has speeding so fast and my limbs felt so slow. Victor began to move his hands to my mouth to keep me from making a sound.

My body was beginning to thrash around and my shouts muffled. "I do believe that this is highly inappropriate Mr. Acosta." Arthur's godly voice pierced the frightening alleyway. With a quick shove I got Victor off of me and ran to Arthur's side. Mary brought me into a side hug and she whispered calming words that were beyond my brain's recognition at the moment.

"I do remember a request Arthur. Weren't you supposed to keep to yourself?" Victor growled as he stalked slightly towards the three of us. Arthur chuckled and puffed on his pipe. "Yes we'll, threats only seem to work on people who care about what is to be lost." Arthur said as he smiled looking Victor straight in his eyes," I appear to have no care for loss."

My eyes welled with tears at the amount of care I felt from my two friends. I may be much younger but my do I love these two so very much.

"Be careful now, Arthur." Victor snarled as he side stepped us making sure to shove me as he passed into the bustle and disappearing within the crowd. I felt relief wash over me at him finally being gone and finally a sob caught in my throat.

"I am so sorry Arthur and Mary. I shouldn't have allowed myself to be in that circumstance." I rambled as tears finally fell freely down my cheeks. Mary turned and shushed me gently wiping my tears.

"No need for apologies. I was just coming by to ask you for tea. Would you care to join us?" Arthur changed the subject happily and began walking away. Mary led me behind and I have never felt so relieved at not having to relive that experience. They truly are the best of friends I could've ever asked for.

Once we reached their little cottage that had housed them and their three children in the past, we took of our cloaks or coats, and sat around the fire. Mary busied herself with putting on a kettle and Arthur was worrying over my bruises. I smile at their affection and wave them off gently.

   "I'm fine. Now at least. Thank you both." I tell them with a smile on my face. They both smile back at me and shake their heads but say nothing. Once the kettle boiled Mary brought it over and poured us each a cup. I thank her and hold the cup between both hands, feeling the warmth radiating from it for a few seconds.

   "Are you sure you're going to be fine alone?" Mary asks me as she places her tea cup down and gentle places a hand over my own. I smile at the contact before looking her in the eyes.

    "Of course." I smile. But truthfully, I wasn't sure if I would be, I was afraid of Victor coming to mine and pas house irate. Being by myself right now was not comforting at all. But Mary and Arthur have plenty on their plates and they've done so much already.