Chapter 18 - Realising

Start from the beginning

After they paid the bill — Remus had insisted on paying, but Katherine wouldn't hear any of it and they eventually agreed to split it — they left the inn and were startled when a huge black dog pounced towards Remus.

"Padfoot!" he exclaimed, patting the dog's head. The dog then looked up at Katherine inquisitively, but with recognition in his eyes. He trotted off along the path and Remus motioned to follow him.

Katherine had not seen Sirius in his Animagus form before, but she had to say that it fit him perfectly. His playful yet caring nature, not to mention the dog was black and his last name was Black. The thought made her laugh quietly.

They walked all the way out of Hogsmeade Village, towards a cave that Remus informed her was where he hid most of the time. Making sure nobody else was around to see, they entered the dark hole. The black dog transformed into a tall man with long, messy black hair and grey eyes.

"Hello, Remus, Katherine," he said, glancing from one person to another with a glint in his eye, "It's been so long, I almost didn't recognise you, Kat. I would hug you... but unfortunately, I'm covered in dirt from living in this hell hole."

She gave a short laugh. "I missed you too, Sirius."

He grinned, showing a set of yellow-tinted, straight teeth. "I heard you're a school counsellor from Moony here, and you're even helping out Harry over there. Never expected you to do that sort of job," he remarked.

"Yeah, I would've never imagined being in this position fifteen years ago, but things have changed. I'm just glad that I now have a chance to at least talk to Harry..." said Katherine with a sad smile.

"Woah, leave it up to you not to tell him who you really are," said Sirius, slightly astonished.

"She's always been like that, keeping things to herself," replied Remus, shaking his head. "Didn't even tell us about her illness back then until she was going to leave."

Katherine smiled sheepishly. "I think the boy's already got a lot on his plate, you know..."

"In all honesty, I didn't expect my godson to be the type to seek help from a counsellor," Sirius noted worriedly, "Was he really that stressed?"

"Well... it's only because Severus recommended him," she revealed, wondering if she really should've told him. But why shouldn't she? If anything, she wanted Sirius to realise that the man he hated and mocked in the past actually had a good heart, a heart that wanted to help his godson.

"He what?" he gasped.

"She said Severus recommended him," Remus reminded him amusingly.

"I know what she said! But why would Snivellus? Same one who always tried to attack James and I? Same one who was a Death-"

"Sirius," she cut him off with a frown. "His name is Severus. And you can hardly accuse him of attacking you when you did the exact same thing. In fact, you actively sought out to humiliate him in front of everyone."

Sirius felt a sinking guilt in his stomach and even Remus was looking down silently. "He deserved it! He deserved it for being one of those Slytherins and becoming a Death Eater no less!" he lashed out, but he wasn't sure if he was saying it to convince Katherine or himself.

"Really," she said sarcastically, tilting her head. "Do you remember Severus being a Death Eater while he was at Hogwarts? Strange of Voldemort to recruit a fifth year who could easily be discovered inside the castle, don't you think? And as for being a Slytherin... what difference does it make? So you wouldn't bully him if he had been sorted into Gryffindor, huh... prejudiced much?"