Chapter 11: The After Party

The evening arrived quickly, passing just as fast. The banquet carried on without a single disturbance, to which I couldn’t have been happier. I discussed a trade deal with Empress Samira, got to know the other nobles and royals from around the Continent, and got to know the consorts. 

Alexandr and Erich both tried to initiate a conversation with me at the same time, which ended up nearly starting a fight. I quickly stepped in before any conflict could take off, talking to them both. As we spoke, Mattheus approached our group. “Your Highness,” he said, bowing to me. “I have been looking for an opportunity to speak to you. My father, brother, and I would like to discuss a trade deal.”

“Of course, Mattheus!”

I waved to Alexandr and Erich, the two of them carrying on with their conversation as I walked away. Mattheus led me to a small group of men, two men clad in white towering over the rest of the group. “Father! Brother! Look who I managed to find!”

The two tall men turned, their eyes lighting up. “Ah! Empress,” the elder said, bowing to me. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you! And my condolences. Your father was a good man.”

I bowed my head, smiling at the man before the other began. “Empress, your beauty precedes you,” he said, grabbing my hand and kissing my knuckles. “If only I were as lucky as my brother to have an opportunity to wed such a gorgeous woman.”

“You flatter me,” I said, slowly slipping my hand from his. “Mattheus said that you gentlemen wanted to discuss a trade deal?”

*
*
*

With another trade deal under my belt, the banquet came to a close. I allowed the guests to mingle as I went to change into the gown I had selected for the ball. When I arrived at my chambers, Marie awaited my arrival. She was already dressed, her modest gown drifting around her as she paced around the room. “Marie,” I said, the woman’s eyes darting up to meet me.
“Your Highness! I did not see you there!”

“That’s quite alright, Marie. You look very nice,” I said, a smile appearing on my face.

A smile of her own appeared as she spun, her skirts twisting around her. “Thank you very much, Your Highness! Your dress for the ball is already waiting behind the screen.”

I made my way over to the screen, quickly undressing and slipping my shift back on. With Marie’s help, I put on my corset, my skirts, and finally the bodice. I smoothed the long white skirt while Marie readjusted my hair into an updo. After she finished, she gently placed the silver tiara back into my hair and went to find a necklace. “The Empress Dowager entrusted this necklace to me,” Marie explained when she returned, holding the jewel-encrusted necklace. “Your mother told me that this is the necklace that she wore for her wedding. She wanted you to wear it for your wedding.”

“Thank you, Marie. It’s beautiful,” I said, caressing the jewels as Marie placed it around my neck.

The tiered teardrop diamonds cascaded down my chest just above the dainty pink flower on the center of the Berthe, a swell of pride building. I was wearing my mother’s jewels. Marie retrieved the earrings that matched the necklace, putting them in my ears before stepping back. “Goodness Your Highness,” she said, placing a hand on her face. “You are a sight.”

“I am glad you think so, Marie. After all, I do have seven husbands that I must impress. I want them to know that they didn’t marry a tacky woman.”

“Speaking of the gentlemen, I do believe Your Highness has a ball to attend.”

I nodded, walking out of my chambers with Marie in tow. The ballroom was bustling, the sound of laughter echoing down the halls as I neared the second-level entrance. The guards by the door bowed their heads, opening the doors before I stepped in. The moment the doors opened, the voices ceased. Though I had not approached the balcony, I could feel every pair of eyes watching me. I donned my brightest closed-mouth smile, walking to the front of the balcony. “Her Imperial Highness! Empress Orelia of House Tania, first of her name,” a man’s voice exclaimed, announcing my presence to all in attendance.