Witches Before Wizards

Open on the Owl House. The wind howls as it moves Luz's open and creaking window. Luz rolls over and breathes heavily. Flashback to events of yesterday: Owlbert hopping through the portal door in Eda's tent with a sack in his beak, Luz running through behind him.

"Stop adorably hopping away, you... Huh?"

Cut to the living room, the first time Luz entered.

"Welcome to..." Eda snaps her fingers. "...the Owl House."

Luz gasps. Cut to Luz's first staff ride, whimsical music playing over the scene. Cut to present. Luz wakes up with a gasp and looks around the room. King is snoring.

"It wasn't a dream!" Luz opens the window. "Good morning, terrifying fantasy world."

A monster waves at her. "Good morning." It sinks into the ocean.

"Ugh."

King continues snoring.

Luz picks up King, who wakes up. "Good morning, you little cutie-pie." Kisses his head repeatedly.

"I am not your cutie-pie!"

"Yes, you are." Luz hugs him tightly before putting him back down on her sleeping bag.

King sighs. "I know."

Cut to Luz, fully dressed, opening the bathroom door. Several owls fly out of it, hooting. She watches them fly away before entering, walking backward.

"Hi, Luz!" Hooty says scaring Luz.

Luz screams and karate chops Hooty's face.

"Ow! I'm just wishing you a good morning." Hooty retreats to the front door. "Jeez! Hoot! Ow!"

"Sorry, Hooty." Luz looks at the bathroom counter and picks up her Azura book. Flips it open to a headshot of Azura and holds it up to the mirror. "This is it, old girl. Your first day on the Boiling Isles, as a Witch Apprentice." She punches the air. "Hyah!" Luz opens a closet door while covering her eyes. "Please have witchy clothes. Please have witchy clothes. Please have witchy clothes." She takes her hand off her eyes and sees a closet full of stereotypical witchy stuff. "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!" She screams.

Cut to Luz writing 'Witch Apprentice Luz' on a name tag and sticking it to her chest. She is now wearing a robe and what looks to be a witch's hat as she stands at the bottom of a staircase. Luz squeals. A toilet flushes. Eda's shadow appears on the wall before she steps into the frame.

Eda yawns. "Hmm?"

"Good morning, Eda the Owl Lady. I am ready for my first day of Witch Apprenticeship."

"Ugh!" Eda shakes spiders out of her hair and picks another one out of her ear. "Who are you, again?"

"Huh?" Luz stares in horror as her name tag falls to the floor.

Luz follows Eda into the kitchen. "Remember me? Luz?" She grunts as a coffee cup hits her in the back of the head. "We freed the oppressed and defeated the evil warden together? Yesterday?"

"Kid, lay off the details. I haven't even had my cup of apple blood yet."

"You mean apple juice?"

"No."

Eda sits on the kitchen table and drinks from her mug. King is sitting in a high chair and stabbing a fork into a yellow blob with eyes sitting on a plate. Kaito walks into the kitchen with his usual tired expression.

"Kaito you remember me right?" Luz asks the boy desperately.

"You mean the bright-eyed girl who wants to be a witch, yeah I remember you." He answers tiredly, not looking at her.