Chapter 8- Stopped

Start from the beginning

I flinched from the touch, pulling away from him, and he quickly did the same, probably realizing just how close we were.

"What happened there?" he repeated himself, and I felt my body go numb at the memory of how I got the scar.

I sat huddled in the corner of my older brother Joeys bedroom.

I felt Tadgh whimper from next to me when a loud crashing came from downstairs.

It was only our first week back home from foster care, and our father was already back.

I wasn't stupid, despite what most people seemed to believe, I had common sense, and I knew that my father would be back eventually.

Just not this soon.

Tears spilled from my eyes when my mother screamed from downstairs.

"Marcella!" She shrieked, and I hugged onto my brother tighter, trying to ignore the soul crushing feeling inside of me.

I was such a coward

I needed to help her.

Joey wouldn't get home from hurling training for another hour and Darren was out to pick him up.

I couldn't take another hour of this, I couldn't even take another second of this.

I stood up from my spot on the wall, my legs shaking violently.

"Marci!" Shannon cried from behind me, baby Ollie in her arms. "Where are you going?"

"I have to help her" I choked out, feeling helpless as I quickly unlocked the bedroom door and slipped out into the hallway before Shannon could stop me.

I tip toed down the stairs, holding my breath and freezing every time they creaked.

When I finally reached the bottom, and the increasing sound of my mother's sobs became unbearable, so I turned the corner into the kitchen.

My mother saw me first, her eyes widening as she reached out to me for help.

Her clothes were torn and her face was bruised, but she wasn't bleeding.

I had come in time.

Then my father noticed me, his head whipping in my direction.

His eyes locked with mine, his pupils dilated unnaturally large.

"You shouldn't be here girl!" he spat at me

I stood as tall as I could, and took two brave steps forward until I was nearly face to face with my father.

"Leave her alone!" I screamed, catching everyone in the room off guard, even myself.

I never raised my voice.

Because I refused to be anything like my father.

My head snapped back as my father's fist came into contact with it, and a sharp piercing pain shot through my cheek at the contact of his ring.