Chapter 1

IceMan had a meeting with a few colleagues from TopGun. A crew was out together for a tactical run through of a mission to Russia. Word had come of a hidden Russian submarine base that was building extremely high tech underwater war machines capable of near silence. Their weapons systems are unparalleled to any other. Capable of carrying nukes anywhere there oceans would take them. The US government wanted the base destroyed and all subs sunk before they could do harm to any countries. IceMan was in his dress uniform for the meeting, hair spiked and clean cut as always. Amber didn't see him walk in, her back was to the door as she put away the glasses she had been drying. She had music running in the background and it was seven in the evening. The late crowd had only just started filtering in. Amber saw a man sit down at one of the corner booths in her peripheral vision and then a moment later three more came in to join him. Allowing them all a moment to get settled, she grabbed four menus and took out her pen and pad from her apron. She knew they were all Navy, it was a bar on base. They had some civilians, but four uniformed men was just a normal occurrence there. 

Amber walked up to the round corner table, ready to pass out the menus when she locked eyes with Tom IceMan Kazanski. He looked just as shocked as she did.

“Good evening gentlemen. My name is…”

“Amber…” IceMan answered.

Her eyes were glued to him, he looked sharp as ever in his dress uniform. She had to clear her throat. “Pardon me, here are some menus. I'll give you a few minutes to take a look and I'll be back to take your order.” She passed around the menus, and hesitated when she got to Ice. She tried like hell to shake it off. She hadn't seen him in ages. Years! He still looked the same. Fit, tall, that same spiky dirty blond hair. Those sharp icy blue eyes. That sharp jawline. Broad shoulders.

Amber went to the bar and cashed out a young couple. As she closed the register she was greeted by a throat clearing off to her left. A deep voice spoke.

“Shadow?”

She looked up into those eyes,”Iceman. Been a long time.” Her heart was pounding. 

He nodded.”It has. How are you?”

“I'm good! And you?” she tried not to let her annoyance come through as she spoke.

“I'm good. I'm back at TopGun.”

“No shit?”she couldn't believe her ears.

“Viper retired.”

“Wow. That's an end of an era. Good for him though. Good for you then too.”

He grinned,”Yeah.” He kept his eyes on hers,”You look great!”

“Can it Ice. You can be nice, that's fine, but don't even think of trying it.”

A look of hurt crossed his face,”Try what?”

“I know how you operate. Just forget it.“ she said harshly.”Don't bother.”

“I just wanted a moment to say Hi Shadow. As you said, it’s been a long time.”

She shuddered,”God, I haven't been called that in years!” she shook her head.

Penny suddenly came up to her side.

“You have GOT to be kidding me! Ice!!! My GOD! How long has it been?”she grinned from ear to ear.

“A long time! How are you Penny?” He grinned. 

“I'm great! It's so good to see you!”

Penny went around the bar and gave Ice a hug. Amber watched. Completely bewildered by his presence. She couldn't stand him.