Chapter Sixteen

By the light of the stars, along a path of clouds, set on the cusp of endless space, Rupa's journey began

She caught Lucids and ignored the Akumu as they flew in abundance around her body.

Each step took her further away from her father and the world she was raised in.

Others might have feared the vast unknown, the sprawling emptiness of the sky, but Rupa found solace in it after being so wounded.

She eventually lost all concept of time as she journeyed on. The smoky grey air blocked her sight as she looked down at her feet, fighting the blustering winds as she hiked relentlessly through the rugged clouds.

After many days of travelling, Rupa noticed the air clearing below, revealing high mountainous peaks of cloud, forming a deep V shape, like a valley.

At the bottom of the valley the strong winds gave the illusion of a river, making it look like a gorge. On either side she spotted rows of little houses that had been built into the sides of the clouds.

Rupa could see immediately that this was a Samsara-built community, for she could see an empty zip line suspended above the valley. She threw her rope down through the atmosphere, looping it expertly through the attachment hook on the strong transport system below.

Pulling herself down, Rupa zip-lined along the empty line towards the valley, eventually reaching the top of the gorge.

She unattached herself from the line, throwing her rope down and looping it through a hook built into the side of a medieval-looking street that had been chiselled like a stone pavement into the clouds. It was truly breathtaking and nothing like anything she had ever seen before.

Gothic architecture surrounded her on both sides, grand buildings stunning her with their intricate beauty. At the very top of the valley, cut into the side of the gorge, stood a huge, abandoned Art Nouveau building.

The top was built from thin clouds that looked like sheets of ice and intricate designs were carved into a damaged roof, making it look like it had been completely covered in hundreds of panels of stained glass that reflected prismatic colours across the floor.

Rupa stepped into the atrium. Once she closed the huge entrance door she was able to release her harness from her exhausted body and touch her feet down on the ground.

She didn't notice how her blistered waist stung as she was too busy taking in the exquisite stairways and giant chandeliers made from icicles that dripped with frozen crystals.

The floor in the centre of the hall was ripped out, leaving a gaping hole. It mirrored another even larger hole in the ceiling. Rupa observed a bomb must have been dropped through the building, as the beautiful carved floor and stained-glass roof were noticeably destroyed.

Two huge strong clumps of cloud rope entwined with the base of the staircase. They were attached to two pieces of thick rope that ran along the floor and into the hole in the floor.