Chapter Ten

Tonya woke to the enticing smell of fried spices, loud music and noisy chattering voices

Tonya woke to the enticing smell of fried spices, loud music and noisy chattering voices. Vish's home sounded like it was bursting at the seams with people. Aunties, mums, dads, brothers, sisters.

Vish explained it was his sister's "godh bharai", which he explained was a Hindu celebration kinda like a baby shower, where the family came together to bless his sister and her unborn baby, and his mum had hired a venue in town and was organising a massive, delicious feast.

He laughed when Tonya said it sounded like it was a full house already.

"This is my life, a huge family with a million aunties that always arrive early for everything!  Apparently they are here to help but its basically like a party before the party" he said with a little laugh.

It dawned on Tonya that she'd not really known Vish that long and she felt really embarrassed stepping out onto his landing in one of his oversized hoodies, dashing to the toilet with her crumpled jeans and a toothbrush, hoping no one would see her.

She splashed her face with water and looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes were red and swollen and she looked tired and ill. She scraped her curls back off her face with someone's old hair tie she found on the bathroom floor and quickly changed back into yesterday's clothes.

Tonya felt foolish and shy, out of place here, cursing herself for not going straight to the caravan as she'd originally planned. The noises of the house made her feel slightly panicked. She hadn't really wanted to meet his mum like this, let alone his entire family.

She could hear his mum talking to Vish now, outside the bathroom door.

"What's going on, you got someone here?"

Tonya took a deep breath and exited the bathroom, plastering a smile over her face that she prayed seemed genuine.

Vish's mum smiled back, raising her eyebrows. She looked quizzically at her son. By the look on her face, this was probably the first time Vish had brought a girl home, let alone for an overnight stay.

Giving Tonya the once over, she asked if she wanted something to eat for breakfast.

"I've actually got to get back," Tonya said, aware of how rude she sounded.

Vish's mum looked radiant. She had long black glossy hair and was already dressed for the event in a special green saree, teamed with an abundance of gold floral jewellery.

Tonya blushed as she thought how hideous she must look compared to her, standing there with her messy hair pulled back into a bun, dressed in Vish's hoodie and yesterday's jeans.

She looked at Vish, who was quickly grabbing his bag and helmet as he said,

"Bye, Mum, I'll be back later," not looking her in the eye as the two of them hurried down the stairs, past the kitchen with its delicious aromas.