Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Ian sighed and stepped out of his study, leaving the piles of ledger that kept accumulating onto his desk. The invoice kept increasing, the funds kept depleting and his patience runs thinning. He needed to clear his mind off things and decided to take a lengthy, extended walk.

"You might want to bring an umbrella, Lord-"

"There's no need." Ian rushed out of the front door and started walking purposely towards the woodland. Inhaled deeply the fresh air as he walked, desperately in need of a distraction after looking at the grave numbers, which comes in the form of a lady in grey dress who was throwing a large branch with a pug scurrying after it.

"I see that you and George are in good relation today." Ian teased and stood beside her.

"Lord Wentworth." She acknowledged him with a smile, and they continued to talk revolving the most important topic of all, George.

"Are you alright, my Lord. You seemed... different." Anna noticed he was more reserved and detached.

"Really? In what way?"

"Well, you're awfully quieter than usual, less taunting. And you have that crinkle plastered in between your brows like an old grumpy man." She blurted.

"I mean. That's not what I mean, my Lord. I mean. It's um..." She regretted her words and was lost for another.

"And what do you mean?" Ian implored, finding her panic much more amusing.

"Well, one thing I know... and that is I know nothing." Anna sighed and said her second phrase in barely a whisper, yet he heard it and laughed.

"Aren't you the wisest man alive, Miss Credence. Do you quote whenever you feel agitated?" He continued to laugh.

"Oh, laugh as you will. It is God's giving if we laugh or weep." She grumbled and his laughter grew which in turn made her smile. Indeed, laughter is catching, or was it specifically his laughter that made her heart melted. Somehow, talking to him was so easy and blithe.

"I thought I have a terrible day until you. You're most amusing." He stated which made her frown, his sincere complement had reminded her of her current position and their diverse status class.

"I didn't mean it to discourage you. It's starting to mizzle, we better hurry." Barely a few seconds after he said it, the drizzle turned to a heavy pour.

"Oh no, come, follow me." Ian took Anna's hand, and they ran towards an old run-down wooden shed that Anna had never knew existed until now. Ian opened the creaked door and they both entered.

"This used to be an old treehouse, except it wasn't on a tree. I was afraid of climbing because I once fell when I was a young boy and my mother had asked someone to build it on the ground instead." He said with a sad smile and much tenderness, an impulse to share it to Anna while he took in the run down shed which held so many memories.

"You are very close to your mother."

"The closest. She wouldn't care if she does not behave as, one should befit a lady so long as she could make me happy." He took off his coat and sat on the small space on the empty floor.

"She sounds like a wonderful person." She gave a benevolent smile and took a seat across him, in the confined space.

"Are you close to your mother?"

"Yes, though she died when I was twelve, but I remember her vividly. She would make us all sit together in the drawing room each evening. She'd sat on her favourite lavender chair and read to us. My father with a cup of tea on his left-hand, listening and me just being in their presence. That made me feel much comfort." Anna said softly reminiscing how everything used to be wonderful and perfect.

"You're close with your father too I assume."

"Yes, we were very close. He taught me great many things. We shared stories after stories each day till- well, for as long as I can remember." She smiled to a distant with her thoughts flowing sweet memories of her dear father.

"You're lucky to have him as a father."

"Extremely, until he died three years ago."

"My deepest condolences. Thus, your mourning attire. But it has been three years." He noted her mourning attire.

"How was your father towards you?" She diverted.

"As how a father of nobility was expected. Stern, proud and rarely there." He said bitterly, remembering very well where he spent his days were, with his mistress while his mother waited for him even on her death bed.

"I am sure your mother tried her best taking two roles in the house exceptionally for you."

"She did." He smiled back looking at her small sincere smile. Somehow being with her brings warmth and comfort, making him feel much at ease. They waited until it was almost dusk and made their way back to the house, slightly later than they ought since the rain had subsided hours ago yet they continued to engage in their conversation without realizing the time.

.

Ian returned to his study ready to duel with the ledger when his stepsister knocked and stepped inside the study after her return from Lady Nancy's house. They chatted long hours until they ran out of topic and out of curiosity, he mentioned about Anna in their conversation which Elise elaborated from all that she knew of her. She explained how desolated Anna was from her father's passing and has been in mourning clothes ever since.

"From what I know which is quite little, surprisingly, Anna was born as a gentlelady from a small town of Yorkshire. I believe she has not been introduced into the public society due to the lack of dowry. Ever since her father's passing, she has nowhere else to go but to find work to support herself. I think her mother had passed since she barely reached her youth. She has worked as a companion to elderly ladies, and came with great reference, that is why grandmama agreed to accept her. You know how difficult grandmama can be, and for someone being able to stay for a yearlong do explain exceedingly! Well, she's exceptional." Elise explicated.

"She is." Ian looked straight out the window towards the trees. His mind strayed to the compelling blue eyes.

"Have you taken a fancy on her, brother?" Elise studied her brother's face. She has never seen him engage in a serious pursue to any lady before, not that he wasn't charming or without a title. The ladies adored his handsome face and charming words despite perhaps his lack of financial funds. Among the wealthy debutantes, he has been considered as one of the notable bachelors, with his newly appointed title and still so young, not to mention his charming, good look. Even so, Ian has never taken an interest in any particular lady simply because the women that he paid attention to, loved his title more than him. He had learnt that women are delectably beautiful yet scheming creature.

"I just stated that she is exceptional indeed to be able to handle grandmama so well for we all know she isn't the most amiable person." Ian added smiling dearly to his stepsister.