Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"I've missed you terribly, brother. It was very unkind of you to leave me here for two long years." Elise Kentworth pouted and sat across the dowager.

"Two long years, indeed." The dowager added. Ian left immediately after his father's passing, leaving no time for mourning and only a brief moment to bid his family goodbye. Taking over the new station that his father passed on along with its complications and affairs. Without much guidance or advice, he was left with the mountain of debt his father had graciously left to him as the new Marquess of Claremont, lord Wentworth. His father seemed to enjoy trying his luck on the horses but without much luck, his losses mounted whilst his bidding kept increasing. In addition to the burden of the mountainous debt, he needed a notable amount required to run the whole manor as well as the responsibility as the Marquess of the Claremont or he will have to marry for advances where many with his status had done.

"You know I would come home as soon as I possibly can, grandmama, Elise. How can I leave my two wonderful ladies too long?"

"Pish posh, leave that sweet talking to the young maidens. Speaking of which, it is about time you stop dallying and find yourself a reputable and honourable lady." The Dowager affirmed.

"Why should I, when I already have two of them whom I dearly loved, right here, grandmama." Ian gave his heart-warming smile to the ladies.

"Someone whom you can marry." The dowager insisted.

"Maybe he wants to find someone whom he loves, grandmama." Elise said dreamily.

"Love does not buy food nor the jewelleries you adore so much, Elise. Ian is intelligent enough to know that and so should you. Most especially with your debut nearing." The dowager said gruffly, wary of her comfort.

"The more reason we should pay our focus on the upcoming debut." Ian took his seat comfortably facing the two ladies.

"Indeed, it is an important event but do not think that we are settled discussing on your own marriage, Ian. You will have to make yourself available for a potential wife during this season. There will be numerous ladies readily waiting to be your wife and all you have to do is just accept one of them who have enough money and propriety." The dowager stated firmly.

"So, I believe that grandmama has prepared you for the big event. My little sister going to her first debut. I am certain it will be a success." Ian changed the topic and smiled to his sister.

"I am overwrought. Oh, you should meet grandmama's companion, she is such a dear. She is able to assuage my apprehensive and truthfully, I do not know what I might do without her. I feel that she is rather my companion as compared to grandmama's." Elise was thankful how Anna was able to ease her worries with her comforting and insightful advice each time she felt anxious.

"Oh yes. I could hardly believe that she is still currently holding her position beyond three months. I would have thought she would not exceed five months at most. Hats off to her determination." Ian commented.

"The longest companion, ever." Elise whispered.

"Well, the others were either inept or incompetent, too meek or lost for words, or simply too dull." The dowager snickered.

"Of course, grandmama. You always have the upmost of standards. I am glad that you finally have someone that you found suitable." Ian added teasingly and they continued conversing on his long journey and discussed Elise's debut.

Later that evening, Anna had settled early for bed, which was a rare occasion. She was informed that her presence would not be required tonight, perhaps the dowager desired a personal family gathering with her grandson who had recently returned. Anna had never met with the lord of the house as the ladies rarely spoke of him. Presumably because every time his name was mentioned, it was either accompanied by a scowl or a frown. She had assumed it was either due to the fact that the ladies dote on him dearly and missed him excessively, or the man was simply an arrogant and truly disagreeable person as most of the other lords she had known. Nevertheless, as Anna laid on her back staring at the ceiling, she was not thinking of Lord Wentworth but rather the young man she met earlier. Sighing dreamily, shaking her head and smiled to herself noting that it was simply wishful thinking. Berating herself, she should be grateful for the opportunity to find work here instead of daydreaming. For the past year of her stay in the Wentworth house, she had learnt to know the ladies more intimately. Enjoying their conversation which helped ease the occasional loneliness.

At the age of eight and seventy, the Dowager still possessed her regale stature with an austere and rigid character, yet she was always fair and just. The other ladies of the house, Lady Wentworth, Ian's stepmother, mostly turn a deaf ear to the things happening in the house, spending most of her time within the four walls of her chamber or in the other drawing room, alone, rarely joining them in the drawing room. Lady Victoria, Ian's stepsister, whom Anna had just met twice, was married and lived with her husband. She was quite like her mother, quiet and graceful. Lady Elise, Ian's youngest stepsister, on the contrary was an affable and amiable companion. Known to have a burning passion of curiosity and often times seen as inquisitive. Still and all, she was kind as she is beautiful.

Being born as the only child herself, Anna learnt to understand how it would feel to have a sister whenever she was with Elise. They chatted, or mostly Elise would platter on while Anna listened attentively, occasionally giggling at the jokes Elise threw once in a while. The dowager, on the other hand, was mostly quiet. Anna had learnt to accustom herself to her strict routine and expectations. It was a rather tranquil living as compared to... She shook her head, not allowing herself to the thought and slowly drifted off to sleep.

"I apologized for my unannounced arrival. I have no other relatives and I have no other places to go." Adrianna folded her arms sitting on the old creaking chair, tears welled up in her eyes.

"There's no need for apology, dear child. You must be hungry from the long journey. Though, there's not much to spare I'm afraid." Aunt Myrtle grabbed the last loaf of bread without any butter and a warm cup of used tea. Adrianna ate the bread with much less grace since she had not eaten anything since she left the day before. She made the journey alone without any chaperone, to the only living relative that she knew, whom she met last on her mother's funeral, when she was twelve.

"I wish I could offer you more but unfortunately that is all I have left." The old lady noticed how hungry and how little the bread was.

"I am more than grateful for this loaf of bread, and I apologize for not being at my best behaviour." She recollected her ungraceful behaviour by devouring the loaf of bread like a savage beast.

"Oh, don't bother about those fancy etiquette when you're around me. And now, I think it's best if you get your much needed rest then we can talk on the morrow. I hope you don't mind sleeping here for I have no other room in this humble house." She set up an old pillow and a thin blanket on the long couch in the small space which conjoined with the kitchen. Aunt Myrtle was an unmarried lady who has been living alone in the house with not much coins in her pocket, most especially when her mother was the only one that had helped her financially to get through these years. And since her mother's passing, Aunt Myrtle could barely survive with a small wage she collected by selling the scanty vegetables she grew in the backyard. Tucking herself as best as she could on the hard couch, Adrianna allowed her exhausted self to fall into a slumber. After a few days of staying with her aunt, she realized the dire condition her Aunt Myrtle was in. There was barely enough food for her aunt, let alone setting another plate for herself. She could not stay with her aunt much longer, she had to search for a suitable job to support herself and now additionally, her unfortunate aunt. Thankfully after a fortnight of searching and sending dozens of letters, Aunt Myrtle was able to find her a job as a lady's companion for a widowed lady in the neighbouring town. The only work she could possibly do was being a lady as how she was raised, thus the job that befitted a lady in need, indeed.