Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

"I plan to." I declare with a smile.

I unlock the door and get out of the car joining the stream of guests walking into the hotel. The event is already underway but I know I am not late since there are other people arriving. My eyes immediately seek out Astrid from the sea of designer dresses and suits. She doesn't stick out like me with my red hair so she is a little bit harder to spot. I retrieve my phone to call her but I stop when I hear my name being called out from the crowd a moment before Astrid appears.

"Kenny!"

"Astrid!"

She stretches her hands out for a hug and I fall into her arms in relief. In as much as socializing in such gatherings is familiar, it's been a while so I need to be eased back into it.

"You look gorgeous." Astrid compliments holding me at arm's length when we pull apart.

"So do you!" I reply admiring her gold off shoulder dress with a sweetheart neckline and a similar slit to mine.

She looks amazing and her gold dress is making her blue eyes pop. One wouldn't think we are sisters due to the contrast in our skin tone and hair but we have the same eyes so that's our link to each other and to our mom who we get them from.

"Thank you for coming." Astrid smiles hugging me again.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss it. So whose ass do we start kissing first?" I ask her.

We laugh because we both know how true my statement is. I am here to make Astrid look good to her bosses and that includes a lot of ass kissing. But I came prepared because there is no room to let Astrid down tonight.

"Game face on. Are you ready?" Astrid inquires.

I link my arm with hers and nod. "I was born ready."

That statement couldn't be truer because being born a Foster meant I was born for events such as this.

It comes with the name.

Astrid spots her first mark and leads the way. Over the next one hour we mingle, make nice, meet a lot of money makers and obviously all the politicians in attendance. There are a few familiar faces and we get recognized a lot because of our parent's influence. Of course we are asked about their whereabouts and we do not lie. They are in LA for business. Of course Astrid invited them to come and support her tonight but they made some lame excuse. She was just being polite since it's not like their absence is affecting her much. Astrid actually wants to make a name for herself away from the Foster influence and after what I have seen tonight she is doing an amazing job at it.

"I just saw Senator Carter, come let me introduce you. You are going to love her." Astrid declares when I find her again after a quick bathroom break.

"Lead the way."

We weave through a sea of guests and have to wait a few more minutes for her to end her conversation with a few other people. When she is done Astrid takes the chance and the senator is the one who speaks first.

"Astrid, darling. I was wondering when I would run into you." Senator Carter exclaims.

She is a beautiful black woman with a kind face but also seems like the kind to effortlessly run the State. I've never met or seen her before but I have heard great things so it's an honor to meet her.

"Good evening Senator Carter." Astrid responds.

"Astrid please, it's Rebecca. And who might this be?" She asks referring to me.

"Sen... sorry, Rebecca, I would like you to meet my baby sister Kennedy. Kennedy this is Senator Rebecca Carter, a dear friend and my mentor." Astrid introduces.