Chapter Twenty-One

REBECCA sighed heavily as she meandered towards her bed after having gotten back into her pajamas at Nam's insistence.

"Stop complaining." Nam urged gently as she watched with concern the way Rebecca struggled to get her aching body to cooperate with the high-raised edge of the bed. 

It took another minute or two on top of that for her to get back under the covers.

Nam finally approached the bed then, carrying a chair along with her so she could sit next to Rebecca after she placed the tray she'd been holding across her lap.

It took another minute or two for Nam to get enough pillows situated behind Rebecca in order for her to sit up properly, but the expression on Rebecca's face when she looked down at the soup that had been placed in front of her was none too promising.

"Nam, there's no way," Rebecca whispered, looking at it for a moment longer and then leaning her head back against the headboard.

"Okay, no soup right now." Nam agreed when she realized Rebecca was looking a little queasy.

"But you have to at least drink some of this." She was already opening a bottle of Gatorade, and Rebecca didn't have the energy to complain anymore.

She just took the bottle weakly in one hand and sipped at it gingerly while Nam sat the tray aside.

"Can I get you anything? Another blanket? Some crackers? A Secret Service Agent in shining armor?"

Rebecca, even as out of it as she was, looked at Nam sharply. "Come again?"

"I mean, I don't blame you, trust me. I'd stare at her, too, if I were so inclined. Like...I stare at her sometimes even though I'm not, so."

Rebecca relaxed and turned her attention back to her Gatorade as she leaned back into the headboard.

"Mm, well. No reason not to look." Rebecca said so casually that even she was sure it was convincing.

"That's the spirit." Nam beamed from her chair and reached out to pat Rebecca on the leg just in time to hear the door in the main sitting area open.

Nam leaned back and looked through the room to find Freen hovering near the door holding a small bag, and Rebecca found the smirk on Nam's face when she turned back to look at her at least slightly amusing. Which was a small victory, all things considered.

"Speak of the devil." Nam quipped as she got up and moved the chair back to where it had been before she dragged it over.

"Nam, please." Rebecca groaned weakly from the bed, and Nam sighed in response.

"Alright, alright. I'll stop bothering you. Get some rest for once."

"I will." Rebecca breathed as she rolled onto her stomach and pressed her face into her pillow.

She nearly dozed off even before Freen had a chance to let Nam out and make it into her bedroom.

"What's up with Nam?" Freen asked idly while she made her way around the bedroom, picking up a few things and sliding the curtains that opened out into the garden shut to block out the sun.

"The whole 'speak of the devil' thing?"

Rebecca hummed into her pillow and shrugged as Freen finished what she was doing and moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I have your medicine." Freen murmured, and amidst the rustling of the bag being opened, Rebecca finally turned back onto her back and looked up to find Freen with her jacket off and the sleeves of her dress shirt rolled up.