x. The Lotus Hotel and Casino

CHAPTER TEN ( the lotus hotel and casino )

CHAPTER TEN
( the lotus hotel and casino )

ARES WAS WAITING for us in the diner parking lot when we got back

"Well, well," he said in his raspy voice. "You didn't get yourself killed."

"You knew it was a trap," Percy spoke up first.

Ares gave him a wicked grin in response. "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

Percy shoved the shield at him. "You're a jerk."

I agreed, but I would've never said it to his face. Annabeth and Grover caught their breath. Ares grabbed the shield and spun it in the air. It changed form, melting into a bulletproof vest. He slung it across his back.

"See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street from the diner. "That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

The eighteen-wheeler had a sign on the back, which was easier to read because it was reverse-printed white on black: KINDNESS INTERNATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORT. WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS.

Percy wasn't having it, "You're kidding."

Ares snapped his fingers. The back door of the truck unlatched. "Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job."

He slung a blue nylon backpack off his handlebars and tossed it to Percy. I peeked over his shoulder to see what was inside; fresh clothes for all of us, twenty bucks in cash, a pouch full of golden drachmas and a bag of Double Stuf Oreos.

"I don't want your lousy – "

"Thank you, Lord Ares," Grover interrupted Percy, giving him the best red-alert warning look. "Thanks a lot."

Reluctantly, may I add, Percy slung the backpack over his shoulder. I admit, it was quite surprising to see him stand up to the god in that way but it wouldn't do any good for him.