iv. Capture the Flag Fiasco

CHAPTER FOUR ( capture the flag fiasco )

CHAPTER FOUR
( capture the flag fiasco )

     PERCY'S FIRST DAYS  finally incorporated in camp were

PERCY'S FIRST DAYS finally incorporated in camp were. . .interesting to say the least. Each morning he took Ancient Greek with Annabeth, and I had the absolute pleasure ( notice my sarcasm? ) to teach him archery with Chiron. We did our best to be patient with him, at least, we tried to, but at the end of the lesson we figured maybe he wasn't skilled to use the bow and arrow. Surely it had nothing to do with the fact that he shot a stray arrow at Chiron's tail. I laughed, but my joy was cut short when Percy shot another arrow and this time it flew past my head.

Thursday afternoon, the newbie had his first sword-fighting lesson. I had the pleasure to see it in the first line, since my cabin had the lesson with the Hermes cabin. Cabins from time to time are mixed together for classes when the schedules lined up, so this was a special occasion. Everybody from both cabins gathered in the arena, and Luke would be our instructor for the day. Luke was the best swordsman in camp, and everybody could agree with me. He taught me all the tricks I knew, although I avoided fighting with a sword.

The lesson started well, beginning with using the old dummies as our opponents as Luke taught us where would be the best way to strike an enemy. He tried his best to fix and help Percy up, since the poor guy seemed to have trouble in finding an appropriate sword. In a matter of minutes, we moved onto dueling in pairs, and I immediately ran to pair up with Molly, since she offered good advice. Luke announced he would be Percy's partner, since this was his first time.

Molly and I dueled for approximately five minutes, which consisted in me losing my breath with just two movements while she barely raised a finger. "Try to think your moves in advance," she had told me after I gave up dueling her for the second time. "The smart swordsman doesn't lose."

That sounded like something Annabeth would say, but I didn't argue. There were moments where Molly and I stopped dueling and chatted amongst ourselves when Luke wasn't looking, too distracted in either assisting Percy or pulling Will away from his Hermes cabin partner after he accidentally stabbed him in the toe. Luke called for a break and almost everyone ( including me ) ran to the cooler to get a refreshing drink. Although it didn't calm my breathing down like my inhaler did, it refreshed me from the inside out.