Chapter 2

These first few chapters (as I said last chapter) I am still getting a feel for the characters and such. I promise it picks up more in a chapter or two ;)

- C

Josie

The drive went on for twenty more minutes before the headlights shone on the iron gates to the ranch. An arch over the gate read Blackburn Ranch. There was a keypad beside the gate that Evander punched a combination into.

The gates slowly opened and we drove through. I immediately went into business mode, pulling out my iPad to take notes.

Evander noticed and raised his brow. "You're starting already?"

I nodded. "Why? Should I not?"

He made an unidentifiable sound. "I guess I just didn't expect you to start straight out of the gate."

I looked at him expectantly. "Is there something you think I won't like?"

He shook his head, as if remembering I was here on official pack business. "I just think you'll be far more impressed by our operation in the morning."

I nodded, agreeing with him. "I'm not writing anything critical, if it makes you feel better. I'm just taking notes on the state of things so that if your ranch is approved, we can figure out how much funding to give you all."

Evander's face lit up. "We would get pack funding?"

"Well... yeah. Only if you prove to be useful though. Alpha has no need for useless and fruitless properties." I said in a firm tone.

"Well, we ain't in the business of growing fruit. It's too cold up here for anything but apples this time of year."

I laughed. "I don't mean literal fruit. Just product. What sort of things do you all do over here? Dairy, meat, eggs?"

Evander nodded slowly. "Yes to all, but you'd best talk to Dean about this stuff."

I nodded, understanding.

Turning to face the window, I continued my notes. The comfortable silence only lasted a few moments before Evander asked more questions.

"If we get approved, does that mean Alpha Vesper owns Blackburn?" Evander put the car in park in front of a small wooden house.

"No, but it'll put the ranch into an agreement with the pack officials. In exchange for our funding, you'll contribute to the pack food supply and food storage," I explained, wondering why he hadn't been told this to start with.

"Does that mean your pretty self gets to come back out and inspect us some more?" Evander asked as he popped open his car door.

A blush crept up my cheeks as he walked around the hood of the car to open my door.

"Well, someone will come inspect annually. I don't know if it'll be me though," I admitted.

"Well are there any more of y'all?" Evander helped me out of the truck, taking my bags into his hands.

"Not at the moment. I'm a one woman team right now," I said proudly, but tiredly.

"So we will be seeing you again then." He winked at me and walked onto the house porch.

"Only if you all get approved!" I reminded him.

By the looks of the establishment, so far all seemed in order. The ranch looked to be on the older side. It made me wonder why they'd never applied for pack funding before now.

I followed Evander into the house and a strange scent hit me. Nothing unpleasant, but certainly strange. I looked around, searching for the origin of the scent.

There was a combination of cinnamon and pine together. Like a woodsy Christmastime.

"Are you guys starting Christmas prep early?" I asked, referring to the scent.

It was only the second week of November, but I don't judge.

"No?" Evander looked at my confused as he led me down a hallway to a door. "Why do you ask?"

"It smells really good in here, that's all. Kinda like cinnamon and pine trees," I responded, smiling at him.

Something about the smell was so pleasing to me. It reminded me of Christmas at my Nana's house. My human grandmother had been the one to host Christmas every year, and my parents and sister and I would all travel to Phoenix to see her. Though it was certainly no white Christmas, we always enjoyed it. She would always have the nicest live pine tree set up in the middle of her house and cinnamon sticks and dried oranges on string over every doorway. She said the cinnamon and oranges were for luck. One year my dad stopped her from doing it and Christmas dinner caught fire, so he doesn't complain anymore.

Evander looked confused, watching me carefully. "Maybe someone lit a candle. I don't smell anything though."

"Maybe someone baked something, there's hints of vanilla too," I added.

"No, I'd smell it. Plus, no one around here is much for baking." He placed my bags down on a bed. "I was a warrior for years, and my sense of smell has never failed me."

I put my hands up in surrender. "I'm just saying I think the house smells nice, no need to stress!"

He nodded, taking the compliment to the house.

"Who else lives here?" I asked, inhaling deeply.

"Me, Dean, and a few of the guys. Our rooms are all upstairs, so you shouldn't be bothered much by anyone." Evander smiled at me. "We hope you'll feel at home here while you're visiting."

I knew he was just trying to butter me up for a higher likelihood of getting the pack funding, but I smiled and nodded anyway.

"What time are you all getting up tomorrow?" I needed to be up as soon as they were to properly assess their routine and productivity.

"I'll probably be up close to five, why?" He asked, leaning against the door frame as I sat on the edge of the bed.

I pulled out my phone and set an alarm for five in the morning. It pained me to do so, but it was part of the job.

"I need to follow your routines to tell Alpha." I smiled sweetly at him.

"Alright, well holler if you need anything," he said, slowly closing the door.

I could hear his footsteps walking away, so I went up to the door and clicked the lock.

From there I changed into some sleepwear and turned out the light. I was certainly going to need all the rest I could get for tomorrow.