Zach

The day I told Alaine the truth 

As I was heading to the restaurant, I felt nervousness, telling her about what Sabrina told me will probably either break her heart or she will probably stop talking to me. I was greeted by the smiling receptionist who led me to where Alaine sat, she looked not that happy or pleased to see me but gave me a half hug. 

I sat across from her, seeing that she was perusing the menu, I scanned through the menu, until it was time for us to finally order. She ordered her lasagna and vanilla milkshake, while I opted for their mushroom pasta but requested for penne instead, along with their chocolate milkshake. 

After we gave our menus to the waitress, and after she repeated our orders, she left us giving me a chance to tell her what Sabrina told me during the day we saw each other. As I was telling her  what Sabrina told me, her eyes widened, but turned sad as she realized that I was somewhat telling the truth. 

She looked down as to stop herself from tearing up in public and in front of me, as our food came, we ate in silence. As people were coming in, she would glance at me unknowingly, I placed my fork down and opened my mouth but stopped as she was chewing while looking at me. 

She placed her fork down, looking at me to say what I wanted to say, so I told her how much I missed her. Our eyes met, and she was scanning my emotions, while thinking possibly about Elijah, the person that loves her and the first guy she ever became "official" with. I waited for her to speak, she sipped her vanilla milkshake still focused on her thoughts. As she placed her half filled glass down she cleared her throat. 

"You know you hurt me right?" She tells me, her fingers holding the glass 

"I know that and I have apologized for it." I say calmly 

"What makes you think I'll forgive you?" She asks, putting up her fork and cutting a piece of her half eaten lasagna 

"I don't expect you to forgive me. I told you what I said because I wanted to protect you." 

"Protect me from what?" 

"From being disappointed." I say, still letting her know that I care about her despite what happened between us 

"Disappointed about what?" She says, her eyebrow raising 

"About them." 

"Why would I be disappointed if Elijah gets back together with her, then it's gonna be their problem, but I won't allow myself to be a part of their mess. A mess that shouldn't have involved me in the first place." She said, feeling as if she didn't have to explain herself but decided to 

"Maybe, because he might've not told you the whole truth?" He asks 

"That's between him and I. I am grateful for you telling me but I came here to sort things out with you." She says, before continuing to eat 

I kept quiet, knowing that the conversation ended between us, I finished my food, and then waited for her to finish hers. We stayed quiet for awhile, processing everything that was said, after awhile the waitress came up to us asking if we wanted to have any dessert. We both declined, but asked for the bill which we paid for separately. After paying, we stood up, said our goodbyes, and walked on opposite directions. I went near the hydroflask stand, stopping, wondering if she looked back. I looked behind me, watching her walk inside the glass doors and into the mall. 

I walked to the escalator, walking through the courtyard, where people were sitting listening to a guy performing near the entrance. I drove home, so many thoughts running through my mind, thinking if I made the right choice. It was never my intention possibly ruining what they have, I placed down my keys on the key basket, and walked up to my room. 

I sat on my bed, thinking if I should send her the voice memo, the voice memo that could either bring them closer together or tear them apart. I decided to send it, because I felt like she deserved to know, to know what type of people they are. I went to my messages, and typed a text, I included the voice memo before sending it to her. 

I placed my phone down on my bedside table, headed to the bathroom and got ready for bed, I laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling thinking of how she will react, thinking if I made a right decision of sending what I sent. I shifted to my right side, dozing off knowing that tomorrow is another day, another day of futsal practice, and a day of hoping. Hoping that I didn't ruin their relationship, it was the next day when my phone vibrated nonstop. I groaned, getting my phone and opening my eyes to see 3 text messages from Elijah, asking if I said anything to Alaine or if I have spoken with Sabrina. 

I gave myself a couple of minutes to open the messages since I knew that Elijah would've noticed that Alaine was ignoring him. I opened them and read them as I sat on my bed. 

Elijah: Hey man! Have you spoken to Alaine? 

Elijah: She's been ignoring me 

Elijah: Call me when you see this 

I sighed, taking in what I have done to their relationship even if I was just protecting her. I placed the phone down, sighing before I headed to my desk to continue working on my schoolworks. After several hours of working on my requirements, I changed into my sleepwear, and headed to bed, knowing I needed to respond to Elijah's messages.