Alaine

The day Elijah told me about Sabrina

My feelings were all over the place, it was a day before his podcast launch party, a day before our public debut as a couple, and a day before me letting him know I was falling. 

We were in his car, rain pouring down, parked at the side of the road leading up to the back entrance of my apartment complex. Both of his hands on the steering wheel, me looking at the mirror thinking of all the events that would've happened but knowing I trust him, I felt anger that he didn't tell me sooner. 

"Did you guys talk after?" I ask, my arms crossed as I observed him. 

"That was the last time we saw each other." He says, removing his hands on the steering wheel and leaning back on the driver's seat 

"Do you still love her?" Of course he does, first love feelings never fade away, but the fact he was here with me now indicates that he is moving on. 

"I don't." He says, his eyes telling me he doesn't anymore, that he only has eyes for me 

"Okay." I say, sighing

"Are you still angry?" He asks, putting his hand on my thigh

"I was but you assured me that you don't have eyes for her anymore." I say, preventing myself to overthink any further. 

"That's good." He says, "I'm sorry again for not telling you sooner." 

"It's okay!" I say, "I forgive you." 

I placed my hand on the hand that was resting on my thigh, we stayed in this position for awhile, watching the droplets of rain fall. As the rain slowly stopped, he dropped me off in front of my apartment building, pulling me into a big hug squeezing me letting me know that he only wants me. 

I give him a kiss on the cheek, closing the door behind me, I watched him drive off before walking in further and into the elevator. I walked into my apartment, seeing Madeline mopping the floor, while mom was doing embroidery on the couch, watching "50 first dates", a romcom classic. 

"I'm home!" I announced, putting my tote bag into the small couch that was placed near our door frame  

"Hi Alaine!" Megan exclaimed, coming towards me, she wrapped her arms around my waist giving me a hug 

"Aww!" Mom chimed in, witnessing the display of sisterly affection,  "So sweet." 

We walked towards the living room, sitting on the empty couch, while Madeline gave me a smile before she headed to the dirty kitchen. 

"What's for dinner?' I ask, looking at mom who was settling down in the couch, crossing her legs 

"Do you girls wanna grab some dinner at Pedro's Spanish restaurant?" Mom asks, holding the TV remote in her right hand 

"Pedro?" I ask, not being familiar with that name 

"It's a new restaurant that opened in the uptown area and Pedro is this famous chef who just moved here from Mexico." Mom explains enthusiastically 

"We can." I say, "Do we need to place a reservation?" 

"No. We don't need to." Madeline says, joining us in the couch with a plate of freshly cut oranges 

We each got a piece, eating it while watching the part where Reese Witherspoon's character, meets Adam Sandler's character in the brunch spot but this time it was when she didn't remember him. 

I remember watching this 2 times, ever since dad died because this was mom's comfort film, we used to cuddle with her in her room, and slept with her until she decided that she was fine sleeping alone. After an hour and a half of watching the film, we all decided to get ready for dinner, I decided to wear a white tank top with high waisted shorts, and choosing a pink sweater as my cover up.