Elijah

The day I ran into my mom's friend

I woke up on a Friday morning, with my phone blowing up from my family and friends commenting about my podcast episode I had with Wavelength. After hearing her side of the story, I was messaged by Cassie, the podcast host to join her on an episode. I agreed and met up with her, she lived in an apartment building next to Thornville's popular mall, I parked my car in her apartment's guest parking lot and went to her apartment where my entire life was about to change.

Hosting has always been my side hustle ever since I hosted my dad's company Christmas party, I decided to plan my own podcast that I will be hosting with my Stellar Events Company that was made by an old friend who then moved to Canada. The team and I were meeting up today in a local coffee shop in Magnolia Heights, a developing area that one of the popular architect companies are building a mall and residential apartments on.

I scrolled through my notifications and saw a bunch of "Congratulations" from my group of friends I call "family". We've been together since Freshman year of High School and ever since our friend group grew more and more. After replying to half of them, I sat up, stretched and walked to my bathroom. I took a quick shower, before putting on a black buttoned t-shirt with white golf shorts paired with my white rubber shoes I bought.

I walked out the door and drove to Magnolia Heights, where a mix of old and new buildings filled the area, the traffic in this area wasn't as bad. I parked my car in front of the coffee shop that was beside a Mexican restaurant. Coffee Bean has always been my group and I's favorite since it brings back so many memories of when we used to chill and drink coffee while doing our requirements.

As I walked in, the cold air ran through my arms, I scanned the room and saw three girls on their laptops sitting on the couch. I waved at them, announcing my arrival, Layla wearing a white buttoned down t-shirt half tucked in her high waisted black shorts, greeted me and gave me a half hug while Macy and Nikki high-fived me.

I sat down on the empty spot beside Layla who was drinking her Iced Mocha Latte, while Macy and Nikki had different types of pastries placed in front of them with their coffee drinks.

"Have you ordered?" Layla asked looking at me

"I'm about to." I say, "How long have you guys been here?"

"Macy and I carpooled together so we were here an hour early." Nikki said answering for Macy and her

I nodded, acknowledging that the guys aren't here yet

"Diego is parking while Javier is on his way." Layla informed us while she closed her phone

"How long have you and Javier been talking?" Nikki asked her, wanting to know if they're dating or not

"A month now. In fact we'll be going on our first date later." She said blushing but trying to hide her big smile

"What will you be doing later?" I ask

"We're going to an art gallery in Pinewoods." She said, smiling because she's an art lover

"Aww." Nikki says

"That's cute." Macy added

"Have fun guys!" I said, looking at the door and seeing Javier walk in

Layla stood up, walking in front of me and giving Javi a big hug, they hugged for awhile until he waved at Macy and Nikki.

"What's up brother!" He said, doing our handshake

"It's going great." I said, grabbing a vacant chair from a young girl in pigtails who was reading a poetry book that was written Rupi Kaur