Elijah

The morning after sleeping over at her mom's family home

Birds were chirping as the sun light seeped through the beige curtains, I turned right and slowly opening my eyes. I looked at the digital clock that showed 8:00 am, I laid on my back, debating on whether to see if she or my parents were awake. I yawned, slowly sitting up, brushing my crazy bed head, and walking up to the bathroom brushing my teeth. I splashed my face with water to take out the sleepiness out of me, I walked to the kitchen, smell of Spam wafted through the air, making me feel hungry, mom and dad were completely passed out. 

Alaine had her hair up in a bun, toasting some bread while Megan helped her place the crispy pieces of Spam on the white serving plate that was placed on the countertop. 

"Good morning!" I greet, pulling out the chair 

"Good morning!" Alaine says in a lively tone 

She's much chipper now compared to when I last saw her, I poured myself a glass of Freshly juiced orange and drank it while she made me a plate. 

"Thank you!" I say, as she hands me my plate of peanut butter toast, three slices of Spam and some fluffy scrambled eggs 

Megan sat next to me with her plate that Alaine made, while she sat on the other end of the Kitchen bar area. We ate in silence, but noticed myself glancing at Alaine, who was enjoying the breakfast meal she cooked. Megan nudged me giving the eyebrow look, as she whispered asking if I wanted to exchanged seats, but I politely nodded my head "no" and we carried on finishing our meals. 

Alaine volunteered washing my plate too, as I handed over to her, she thanked me, and started washing it. She paused looking at me, prompting me that she's got it all handed, I simply nodded and made my way to the Kitchen counter watching Megan draw on her coloring book. She started colored the elephant, while I poured myself a glass of water, she walked over to the dryer turning it on and gestured for us to go out into the patio. 

We walked to the other side of the patio, where a swing set was, we sat on both sides, just taking in the sunny morning breeze. She looked at the clouds moving, appreciating the sky and it's beauty. 

"Pretty, isn't it?" She asks turning her head to look at me and looked back at the sky 

"Yes, has the sky here always been clear?" I ask, noticing how it's cloudy in the place I live in 

"Not really, sometimes it rains but so far the weather has been good this week." She says, looking at me and admiring the sky 

"Have you always been a sky person?" 

"When I was 9, my dad brought us to this beautiful beach in Batangas. The calming waves, the sand below our feet and the blueish clear sky." She says, "It was beautiful, so whenever i look up, I feel like he's looking down, watching mom, my sisters and I." 

"You must really miss him." I say, feeling how much she loved and cared for her dad 

"I do but at the same time I have to be strong for mom." She explains, looking over to the living room to check if tita Dianne was awake 

"I understand. I mean losing a parent is hard because you've made so many memories with them and they thought you lessons you'll bring with you to share to your future kids." I say, sounding so wise and all 

"Yeah! You're right, I'm just blessed that mom still wants to bond with the people around her, feels like that's her coping mechanism." 

"I agree, but how is Megan doing?" I ask 

"She's doing okay, I mean sometimes she looks for him but at the same time she understands that he's no longer with us." She sighs as she watches Megan walk over to the play room, in the other side of the corridor.