𝟘𝟙:𝕋𝕙𝕖 ℂ𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝕓𝕖𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕞

"Is this Mrs. Lockeheart?" the operator on the other line asked "Yes this is she? Sorry but who is this?" She asked as she stood in the kitchen cooking for her husband and daughter who were on their way home from the store. They had gone to get a few spices for dinner. "Mrs. Lockeheart. I'm Dr. Mireles, I'm your husband's doctor, we need you to come to the hospital immediately Mrs.Lockeheart." the male on the other line said. "The hospital? My husband? Doctor? Why? What happened? Is he alright?" She was already getting her shoes and jacket on.

"Mrs. Lockeheart, there was... an accident." The doctor stated as he bit his lip on the other side of the line as he heard the woman's breath hitch. "Is...is he?" she stuttered out as tears started to threaten to spill as she grabbed her keys and ran to the car not bothering to lock the door. "No ma'am, he is still alive, but we don't believe he will make it through the night." the doctor said solemnly. Mrs. Lockeheart choked back a sob "what... no no no, god please no...my daughter! What about our daughter? Is she alright?!" she asked frantically as she drove. "Your daughter? Ma'am there wasn't a child in the car." the doctor stated as he started to make his way to the team of medics that were on the sight.

"No no! She was in the car with him. They went to the store together. Her name is Athena Lockeheart she's only 11. She turns 12 in 2 months... please not my baby girl...oh god please" Mrs. Lockeheart was sobbing as she drove going over the speed limit. She just wanted to see her husband and daughter again. "Ma'am, i'm contacting the police at the scene and sending medics back to the scene. They will locate your daughter as fast as possible." the doctor said as the medics quickly retreated back to the ambulance. Hoping they weren't too late to find the 11 year old girl.

Back at the scene of the accident the police were notified that there was an 11 year old girl in the car at the time of the accident. They notified one another and got the K9 unit out in the area. To their surprise the dogs went to the car and kept barking at the back of it. The back of the car was crushed down mostly but they got the fire department to pull the roof off the car and with wide eyes they came to see the body of an 11 year old girl. She was covered with glass and blood and the back of the car was soaked in blood. The medics ran down and checked the girls pulse it was faint but it was there "She's a fighter, she's been back her for hours" one of the female medics said as they started to move her to get her onto a stretcher "oh god..." one of the medics said as they looked at the girl. Her left leg was turned in an inhuman way, her right forearm to her hand looked mangled beyond repair, her face was covered in cuts but there was a very distinct one down her left eye.

"It's a miracle she's still alive after all this" another medic said as they lifted the gurney into the ambulance and they rushed to the hospital as they hooked her up to the heart monitor and IV in the ambulance and stopped as much bleeding as they could until they got to the hospital.

Once they arrived at the hospital they stated her injuries and what had happened and they rushed her into Emergency surgery immediately. The surgery took several hours and she was touch and go for a while ,but she ultimately survived it.

When Athena woke up she was greeted by the sight of her mother, her cheeks were tear stained and eyes puffy and red. "Oh thank god.. You're awake..my baby is awake'' she said as more tears streamed down her face "M...mm...Momma..." Athena said her voice was hoarse and she let out a dry cough. "Here, drink some water and take it easy." her mother said as she helped her sit up a bit and she went to grab it with her right hand but when she lifted her arm up she was met with a bandaged limb with half of her forearm gone. She could only stare at it, it felt like her hand was still there but she could physically see that it wasn't there. She finally realized that she could only see out of one eye and she reached up with her left hand to be greeted with a bandage that went over her head and around her eye. She finally sat up and pulled the blanket off her legs and one was casted with a metal contraption around it and the other bandaged due to the cuts on it.

She was being abnormally calm about it all and she looked to her mother and took the cup of water with her left hand and drank it til there wasn't a single drop. "W-where's papa at? Can I see him?" Athena asked her mother. She watched her mother's breath hitch and she swallowed hard as tears pricked her eyes. "Papa is on life support right now, the doctors say he's brain dead... But I told them to hold off on pulling the plug, so that you could have a chance... to...to say goodbye." her mother said softly as she gave her a sad smile. Athena could only stare at her mother and nod slowly in response. She didn't know how to exactly react to such news. Everything was still trying to make sense in her head and settle in. Her father was just smiling at her and laughing minutes ago it felt to her, and now she was being told he was brain dead and would they'd be pulling the plug. "C-can you get me a wheelchair? I wanna see Papa '' Athena said softly as she sat up. Her mother hesitated for a moment, wanting her daughter to get rest, but she knew her daughter had to see her father. Mrs. Lockeheart went and got a wheelchair and a nurse to help her transfer Athena from the bed to the wheelchair and they were on their way to see Mr.Lockeheart.

When they opened the door Athena gasped at the sight of her father hooked up to so many machines, her heart broke at the sight of her father. The very man who was always laughing and smiling and telling the worst dad jokes, was now laying here not moving and being supported by medical contraptions to keep his lungs and heart going. She got up out of the wheelchair and limped her way over to her father and she laid her head on his chest and gripped the blanket around him with her fist and she buried her face against his chest and started to cry for the first time since she had gained consciousness. She cried harder as all the memories with her dad played in her head like a video tape. All the ups and downs with him and all the time and love he gave her, it all came flooding to her memories. Her mother helped her get up onto the bed and Athena laid beside him and held onto him while she cried.

Athena laid there for the rest of the day talking to her father. Eventually night began to settle in and her mother came in to tell her it was time for him to go. Athena started crying again as she gripped onto him "I love you papa...Thank you for being the best dad a girl could ever be given...I'll s-sing you a s-song" she started to tear up again and hiccuped "to help you go to sleep" she finally finished her statement. She sat up and took a few deep breaths to calm down a bit. She looked down at her papa watching his chest rise and fall as she started to sing to him quietly.

The nurse started to turn off each machine in the order she was instructed to. "Please...don't take...my sunshine...away" she finished as the heart monitor held out a long high pitched sound to finally let the full weight of everything come crashing down in her world.

Athena's father was gone. He was never going to return, and the storm that had disrupted the ocean's peace now seemed to be everlasting and much more vile and vein than before.