Chapter 2

He looked at me, I believe he was stunned I said a word or even knew how to talk. I looked up at him. He walked back over and sat back down on the ground.

"One? That's an unusual name."

I looked at him. How do I answer him? It's not really a name, it's a cattle number. I was the first.

"Well I can tell by the look on your face that you don't like it very much." Armin looked at me. "I know you can talk now so..."

"I don't know where to start," I spoke softly.

"How about with those scars? Where did you get them?" Armin asked.

It took me a couple seconds to put together an answer, I shifted the way I was crossing the other leg on top.

"I am not the best at following direct commands, I was the only one who remembered before.... Um and I have a little bit of a resistance issue." I said.

As I finished Flint came in. He looked at me and then his dad. He bent over and whispered something in his dad's ear. He looked back at me. I was going to stay silent as long as he was here.

"Thanks for letting me know, but I think it's best you go now." Armin read my mind.

"I think I should stay." Flint objected.

"Go, please." Armin said.

With that Flint left in a huff and Armin turned back to me.

"Thanks." I said

"He is protective." Armin replied,"what do you mean when you said before."

"I was taken from my home because of what I can do. I remember sitting in my room with this teddy bear. When large men came in. They pulled me through the living room and on the floor were my parents. The next thing I remember I was in a room with walls and a door." I finished.

I looked up at his face. He looked heart broken.

"You said you were the only one implying that there was more of you?" Armin looked at me.

"There are. There Were 22 of us." I said looking at the ground.

"Was?" Armin looked at me.

"He called us into the briefing room to discuss his new direction. He wanted purebreds, no mutts. So his men stood behind all but 7 of us and slit the others throats. 5, 9, 14,17, 18 and 22. Are all that's left." I grew quieter as I finished.

"It sounds like you had good reasons for leaving." Armin looked at me. "It's getting late and I need to go and I am sure the floor has not been comfortable. So I am going to be back with blankets and pillows. Maybe an air up mattress if I can find one."

He left and I was alone in the room. It was hard to tell someone everything that has happened to me. I know if i tried to i could escape and leave but even though i am trapped again I wanted to stay. I was thrown from my thoughts when Armin walked back down the stairs.

"Okay so find an air mattress and everything else you need." Armin smiled.

He opened the cell door and walked in the cell. He set everything down and started to do something loud and the mat filled up as he went. Then he put some stuff on the mat.

"This should be way more comfortable than the floor." Armin said proud of his work.

"What is that?" I asked

"A bed?" He looked confused.

"What's a bed?" I asked again

"You have never seen a bed before?" I shook my head "well you lay in it to sleep then if you get cold you put a blanket or 2 on." he explained