Chapter 37 - Family

— Ayra —

Thinking about my past with Eyder I remembered something that didn't make sense; I remembered that, after all, that day was unforgettable—the day the government took me to the dome. And I clearly remembered that a child, who I remembered as a friend, was running across the street, but there were two things I didn't understand, one because Reid didn't talk about what happened to him or our family, and second because I didn't see the memories with him in the sea of memories.

Something didn't make sense.

"What's wrong?" What are you thinking? Unlike you, I can't figure it out because I can't read minds, so please tell me." Eyder asked as we made our way to the elevator.

"There are some things that aren't adding up, but there's something I'm sure Reid is hiding from me. And there's another thing, but I need to talk to Reid; he didn't tell me everything about our family."

"Well... I know some things, but I don't think it's right for me to tell you; even though I'm your boyfriend and now part of your family, it's your family we're talking to, and I think you should talk to him."

"Okay, I'll talk; I figured you knew, but I'm not going to make you talk or read your thoughts, so don't worry... And I believe he'll want to be the one to tell me that."

"I believe that too."

It was an obvious decision, but I had made up my mind that I would have to ask him some things that I was sure he didn't want to tell me before. Maybe to deprive myself of terrible things; most likely, even so, I was no longer a child; there was no point in protecting myself from the world; on the contrary, I needed to know it; I could not remain with any kind of blindfold over my eyes.

It was time to stop being protected and protect others, as I wanted before and probably always will.

I watched as Eyder looked at me. I pulled an eyebrow up, insinuating that I was asking, 'What's wrong?'. Apparently he understood, because he approached me and said:

"It's going to be alright," wrapping me in a hug. That's what was making him stare at me; he meant that I wouldn't have a problem knowing what I needed. I really chose a good boyfriend, as if I had chosen to like him.

We spent some time together, just the two of us. Most of the time together that we spent was in training, but that day we were together longer; we were only with each other, nothing more than that. And it was perfect.

***

Later, I went to see my brother. It was time to clean things up before it was too late. I needed to know, and he had the information. That day, I knocked on the door of the director of the island. He didn't even ask who it was; he just said he could come in, and I did. It took a while for him to look at me since he was concentrating on something on his laptop. But when he saw me, he smiled and said,

"Ayra! Glad to see you! What brings you here? Usually, I'm the one who has to go to you and not the other way around."

"Good to see you too, but that's right, I wouldn't come here to disturb the director of the island for no reason, but for now I just wanted to let you know that I want to talk about an important matter when we go home," I said as I thought that bringing the subject up there when he was so busy would be bad of me.

"That's it, Ayra; you can talk about it now. Especially because if you don't talk now, I'll be thinking about it since I'm a curious person."

I swallowed; I hadn't thought about it before coming; I got in the way of my brother at his work; I felt guilty. But now there was no turning back—at least I thought so.