Chapter 5 - Plan

— Eyder —

It was a new day with a routine similar to the previous day. However, after breakfast, we didn't go to the room where we showcased our abilities; we went straight to the training room. I still had to pretend to be training while demonstrating a weaker power compared to reality. Where had I gotten myself into?

"You did well," Lina said out of the blue.

"Why?" I asked.

"The level of your ability is the same as mine. It's much weaker than the others here. You probably already realize what that means, right?"

I pondered for a moment, but the first image that came to mind was that of the girl with white hair, imprisoned like a criminal or worse. And I still wanted to know her name.

"I imagine that the stronger your ability, the more locked up you are, just like that girl we've only seen once so far."

"Exactly, as you know," she's only made air quotes with one hand "once a week.

"But, you know, there's something I don't understand. Why do they set her free once a week? It doesn't make any sense. Especially after everything that happened. She tried to escape and even killed several guards. To me, it just doesn't make any sense."

"I wish I understood too."

One of the trainers, or whatever they're called, came to talk to me about the new training plan, which didn't change much from what I had already been doing. But it was probably to divert our conversation, which wasn't advised for the location.

— Ayra —

I heard the sound of a door opening, snapping me out of my thoughts. It had been a long time since I had learned a way to pass the time, which was great considering I had been confined so they could test and enhance my abilities for a long time. If only that were for me and not for them. I was sure their goal had changed a while ago.

I heard the door open, and nothing good happened when they came. But okay, it was nothing major. Today, they would do the usual—some routine tests—and then draw blood. I didn't like having my blood drawn; it made me feel weak. The only thing I knew was the order in which I did the experiments. After all, it had been many years of the same routine. The good part of this day was that I could eat like a normal person. They usually injected the substances I needed into my arm. At least they didn't drug me in the process; they only fed me. I didn't feel drugged, so I saw that it could be worse.

The guards who always took me for these experiments let go of me where I was. It was good to feel like I could move again.

"If you promise to behave until then, I'll give you more freedom today. Deal?" said a woman's voice.

"Deal. I was hoping to stretch my legs."

"Great." Her voice was dry. But I still decided to ask, even though I already knew the answer.

"Can we take off this blindfold too?"

"Now you're asking for too much."

"That's what I thought."

I underwent the tests without causing them trouble, considering I only did what I did on shower days. I even felt guilty for what I did until I remembered what they did to me. Then I almost didn't feel guilty anymore... Maybe I wasn't a good person.

After a while of doing countless tests, of which I had lost count since I stopped paying attention a long time ago, they returned me to my cold metal corner. Waiting had become quite common in my daily life.