Death and Then Rebirth

In the Cloud Moon Empire, within Star Feather City, situated at the back of the Wu family's mountain, there was an observation platform.

A 16-year-old boy sat alone on a stone bench, gazing into the distance. His silhouette carried a sense of desolation, but his eyes sparkled with hopeful anticipation.

"Tomorrow, Xueyan will return from the Feiyun Sect. I want to know if she has suffered in these two years," the young man murmured to himself, almost unable to conceal the joy in his heart.

This young man was named Wu Yun, the only son of Wu Tian, the head of the Wu family. Due to his status, he had been the center of attention since birth. Living up to expectations, he possessed extraordinary talents, far surpassing his peers in martial arts. At the age of 14, he reached the seventh realm of martial cultivation, surpassing everyone and becoming the pride of the youth in Star Feather City.

Three years ago, Wu Yun was a star in Star Feather City, widely renowned. In the same year, Xiao Long, the head of the Xiao family, personally visited, arranging for his daughter, Xiao Xueyan, to be engaged to Wu Yun, formalizing their union.

Wu Yun and Xiao Xueyan had been childhood sweethearts, so no one objected to this arranged marriage.

After the formal engagement, Wu Yun's relationship with Xiao Xueyan visibly warmed, and they were almost inseparable.

Six months later, tragedy struck. Xiao Xueyan fell seriously ill; her dantian was damaged and urgently needed a new one to survive. However, no one was willing to donate their dantian to save her life.

The importance of the dantian to cultivators was well-known, especially for a prodigy like Wu Yun. His dantian was larger than most, one of the reasons for his extraordinary cultivation speed. Losing his dantian meant Wu Yun would go from being a divine prodigy to a fallen waste. Despite this, disregarding the strong opposition from his family, Wu Yun decided to sacrifice his dantian, allowing the Xiao family to extract it and transplant it into Xiao Xueyan's abdomen.

A month later, Xiao Xueyan's health fully recovered. However, while Wu Yun struggled to maintain his own life, deprived of his dantian, his cultivation plummeted, and he became a helpless, shattered individual.

Six months later, with the assistance of Wu Yun's dantian, Xiao Xueyan's cultivation soared. In a short half year, she progressed from the seventh realm of martial cultivation to the seventh heavenly realm, completely surpassing Wu Yun and becoming a leading figure among the younger generation in Star Feather City.

After the New Year, Xiao Xueyan broke through again, reaching the eighth realm of martial cultivation. Her reputation in Star Feather City was unparalleled, and her fame even spread to nearby cities.

At the same time, the once divine prodigy, Wu Yun, gradually faded from people's sight. Some began to mock him as useless and labeled him with such names.

In the year Xiao Xueyan reached the eighth realm of martial cultivation, the Feiyun Sect, one of the most prominent sects in the Cloud Moon Empire and a coveted cultivation sanctuary for practitioners, extended an invitation to her, hoping she would join their sect.

And thus, Xiao Xueyan became a well-known name in Star Feather City, earning praise even from the rulers of the Cloud Moon Empire. The members of the Wu family were shaken, and in Wu Yun's heart, there was a bitter feeling that lingered.

This glory should have been his, something he should have possessed. However, he didn't regret it because if he hadn't done this, Xiao Xueyan would have died long ago. Not being able to save her would have been his lifelong regret.

Wu Yun vividly recalled the words Xiao Xueyan said before departing a year ago: "Thank you, Yun ge. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have achieved what I have today. Everything I have is thanks to you. When I come back from the Feiyun Sect, I'll marry you."

With these thoughts, Wu Yun gradually pulled himself out of his reverie.

"A year has passed, Xueyan. You are finally back. Will you fulfill your promise to marry me? I have missed you so much."

A happy smile spread across Wu Yun's face. Then, he crossed his legs and began circulating the family's cultivation technique, attempting to absorb the spiritual energy of heaven and earth.

Despite lacking a dantian, he never gave up. Though he failed countless times, it was never enough to defeat him. As usual, he formed hand seals, and the family's technique, the 'Five Elements Secret,' slowly activated, drawing in the surrounding spiritual energy. It circulated through his meridians, gathering at his dantian, or rather, the void where his dantian once resided.

Yet, his dantian had long been excavated, rendering him unable to gather spiritual energy. Watching the painstakingly gathered energy slowly dissipate, Wu Yun couldn't help but feel disheartened.

"Is it over? Have I failed again?" Wu Yun murmured softly.

He slowly opened his eyes, about to rise from the stone bench.

Suddenly, a deafening explosion ruptured the clear sky.

Boom! A lightning bolt streaked across the clear sky.

Startled, Wu Yun looked up to see the previously cloudless sky now covered in rolling black clouds. Thunderbolts streaked across the sky, resonating with such intensity that even the ground trembled.

In the next moment, a golden light flashed across the densely clouded void. Wu Yun felt a surge of heat on his forehead, as if something had struck him, and then darkness enveloped his consciousness.

After losing consciousness, the sky returned to calmness. The black clouds dissipated, the thunder faded away, and everything returned to serenity.

Moments later, Wu Yun opened his eyes only to find himself in an entirely unfamiliar world.

The surroundings were enveloped in dense fog, an endless expanse of darkness.

Peering into the distance, Wu Yun noticed what seemed to be a lake several hundred meters ahead.

Approaching it, he was shocked to discover that it wasn't just a lake but an endless and boundless spiritual sea. It appeared bottomless, entirely formed from gathered spiritual energy, resembling an infinite ocean.

"This, this is a spiritual sea?" Wu Yun exclaimed. "Such an immense expanse of spiritual energy. Even if tens of millions of cultivators practiced here for hundreds of thousands of years, they might not absorb it all.

What place is this? Am I dead? Is this the underworld or heaven?