Barnaby Transformation V. 2

Warning: mild body horror and swearing. Reader discretion is heavily advised.

I ran as fast as I could away from the dreaded Barnaby Manor. I can clearly hear the flapping of wings behind me as I ran. My breaths were coming out in panicked, sporadic puffs. I bet you are wondering, Ali, why are you running? What are you running from? To that, I can answer both questions honestly. The first answer is that I'm running from Barnaby because... to put it simply, the cat got out of the bag. He figured out I'm a shapeshifting hedgehog instead of a ghost owl girl that he thought I was. I think I broke the sound barrier six times while I was escaping from his iron grip and murderous tendencies, but who's counting? Anyways, let me tell you how he figured it out.

The short answer: breath test. The long answer is as follows: I began my day at the Barnaby Manor as normal. But Barnaby himself was acting strange... uh, stranger than usual. His swirling golden eyes always narrow suspiciously every time he sees my reflection. And every time I pass by him, he seems much more irritable. By that, he is always telling me to stop breathing because he sees it as a bit of a gross habit. Yeah, it is quite problematic because well, in case you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a ghost and sure as fuck not dead. 

So, it finally got to a point where Barnaby cornered me with a mirror one day. "Ali, you've been acting weird with this breathing nonsense, and I must find out why my favorite 'granddaughter' is breathing despite the fact that she is technically dead." He told me, his grin a little bit too crooked for my liking. His face shifted so that his mouth was on the side of his head. 

Then he promptly shoved a mirror in my face. The glass fogged, betraying my living status. And he tried to pin me against the wall. I dodged that talon swipe. "The glass only fogs when something living is here!" He said, hooting almost maniacally. I ran, shifting into a blue female hedgehog. 

Then I started running at four hundred miles per hour. I felt something sting me, but I didn't stop running. 

~~~~~

It took me an hour to shake off Barnaby. It took twenty minutes to get myself to Green Hill Zone. I hear intense music playing in my ears as I ran. I sneaked into Sonic's manor. Just as I was about to head upstairs, I hear Sonic ask, "Al, you look pale. Did that insane, dead, ghost owl lunatic see through your shifting?" He asked. I nod, tears in my eyes. Things have been... well, rough with Barnaby lately. I head upstairs, sobbing. I begin assessing the damage. The only physical problem is a strange bite mark. I rinse it under hot water, wondering how the fuck that got there. I shrug it off. Physically, I'm mostly fine. Mentally is another story. My anxiety has been through the roof.

Sonic has been worrying about me for a while now, but he tries to keep that worry hidden. I can't blame him. He is my father after all. 

~~~~~

Tonight is a new moon. I sit outside. I noticed that the new moon looked bigger, darker, even. Then I hear something like a twig snapping. I look at my arms. They felt as if they became putty, stretching out. My gloves rip as my arm started getting covered in black feathers. I double over, exhaling painfully. I clutched my body as I started growing taller. It was painful. Somehow it was much worse than the werehog transformation. It felt like every bone in my body is being snapped, twisted and shoved right inside of my body. I yell as I grew taller, my clothes ripping to accommodate my long black wings. My quills felt as if they were pushed in. I groan in pain as I grew larger, my shoes exploding to a pair of giant black talons. It wasn't long before I was covered in feathers. Even my tail became tail feathers, which are long, black and luxurious.

I was starting to hoot in pain, gripping my ears... my ear feathers or plumicorns if you want to be a bunch of technical smartasses. I screech, not realizing that my eyes are now swirling orange eyes with a red pupil. I panted, then I hear Sonic calling for me. "Stay away!" I whimper. "I... I'm a monster! I don't want to hurt you or kill you!" My voice got fruitier. I turn my head to the new moon and let out a howling hoot: