C H A P T E R 23

When Adam persisted in walking me to the front door of my house, he noticed Aunt Tess wasn't home.

Once inside, he settled the duffel bags in the living room before heading to the kitchen. Despite my initial protests, he insisted on making soup for me, showing a protective side that I couldn't easily dismiss.

With my face nestled against the pillows, I rested my stomach on the couch, eagerly waiting for the soup Adam was preparing.

Just as I felt myself starting to drift into slumber, a gentle tap on my shoulder jolted me slightly. I turned to see Adam, his expression soft as he looked at me.

"Can you manage to stand up, or should I bring the soup here?" Adam inquired, concern evident in his voice. I shook my head with an assuring smile and attempted to stand up, but the room began to spin, causing me to falter.

"Actually, I think it's better if you bring the soup here," I nodded, acknowledging my difficulty. Adam rose from his seat, saying, "I'll be right back," before heading to the kitchen.

After a brief moment, he returned, holding a bowl and a spoon. Sitting beside me on the couch, he offered me the bowl, but as I reached for it, he gently pulled it away.

"Just rest, El," he sighed, a tone of concern lacing his words.

"I can manage, Adam," I protested, feeling a bit frustrated as I sensed him being overly protective.

"Love," he said firmly, the word slipping out almost naturally, his eyes widening in realization as soon as it left his lips.

"Adelaide," he corrected himself sheepishly.

"Fine," I replied, rolling my eyes.

The living room fell into silence as Adam began to feed me the delicious soup he had prepared. It felt incredibly awkward, given our decision to take a break, yet here we were, in the same room, him feeding me soup.

"Absolutely delicious," I praised, breaking the silence. Adam chuckled softly, his gaze shifting to the soup he had prepared.

"I, um, asked my mom to show me how to make this. So, in case you fall ill..." he trailed off sheepishly, to which I simply grinned in response.

"Really, Banksie?" I queried, maintaining a gentle smile on my face.

When he nodded, a giggle escaped me before I sat up straight on the couch, feeling the wave of tiredness wash over me, prompting a yawn.

He rose and exited the living room to place the empty bowl in the sink, while I, without waiting for him, headed upstairs.

As dizziness swept over me, I hurriedly made my way to my bed, allowing my head to sink into the softness of the pillows.

"El?" Adam's gentle voice came from the doorway, but I didn't lift my gaze.

"Yeah?" I mumbled into the pillows, my voice muffled, as I heard his footsteps approaching. He knelt beside my bed as I lay there, facing sideways.

"I'm going to head out. Are you going to be alright?" he asked softly, but I didn't reply, feeling sleep pulling me in as his fingers brushed my hair, gently caressing my face.

I sensed his sigh before his lips met my forehead, and as he moved to leave, I instinctively reached out, catching his wrist.

"Please stay," I whispered with closed eyes, hoping he'd linger a while longer.

"Does that feel alright to you, given everything that's going on?" he asked cautiously, but I shook my head against the pillow.

"I don't mind. Please, just stay," I pleaded, my eyes now open, locking onto his blue gaze.

"Alright, I'll quickly hop in the shower first," he announced, and I murmured in acknowledgment, moving aside on the bed to make room for him when he returned.

He didn't need to return to his house, which was adjacent to mine, to fetch clothes and other items. Most of his wardrobe and essentials, including his cologne, were already at my place. The same was true for my belongings at his house.

I lay there, seemingly for hours, my eyes shut tight, feeling as though sharp, stabbing sensations were piercing through my head.

As I lay there, I sensed the mattress dip beside me, signaling Adam's presence. He sat down, holding a glass of water and a solitary pill, presumably meant to alleviate my dizziness.

"You're burning up, El," he remarked, his cold hands touching my forehead.

"Here, drink this," he murmured softly. I didn't respond, but I carefully propped myself up on the bed, accepting the glass of water and the medicine from his outstretched hands. After swallowing the contents, he rose from his seat and quietly exited the room.

Once I finished the water, I set the glass on the bedside table and eased myself back onto the bed, resting once more.

He returned, seating himself on the bed once more, holding a neatly folded damp towel which he placed gently on my forehead. Re-positioning himself beside me, he lay down, mirroring my position, facing towards me on his side.

A tranquil silence enveloped the room as neither of us uttered a word. Despite our current predicament, the quietude felt oddly comforting. We maintained an unspoken agreement to carry on as if nothing had transpired that night, as if the weight of the situation hadn't pressed down upon us.

With my eyes shut, nestled under the blanket Adam had draped over us, I ventured to break the silence.

"Thank you," I whispered into the dimly dark room.

"Don't mention it," came his quiet reply.

Another pause lingered in the subdued darkness before I found the courage to speak again.

"Do you mean it?" I asked, no need for further explanation as the weight of the question hung in the air.

There was a brief silence before he replied, "Yeah, I meant it."

"I'm sorry, I didn't say it back," I whispered, reaching out to touch his cheek gently. He responded by placing his hand atop mine, returning the caress in kind.

"You don't have to. What's important is... you know how much I love you," he responded in a hushed tone.

"No, I..." I hesitated briefly, but Adam interrupted me.

"You don't have to say it now, El. Just rest, okay?" he whispered. I nibbled gently on my bottom lip for a moment before nodding in agreement with his words.

"Tomorrow..." he spoke up again, "I'll try to keep my distance from you since we, uh... We're on a break for a while."

I felt a pang of heartache as his words sank in, but I nodded in understanding. After all, it was my decision to take a break from our relationship for a while.

We needed to have some time apart, especially as our commitment to the Varsity was affecting us both. His dedication was to make his father proud, and the strain on our relationship was undeniable.

Being on the Varsity team wasn't the issue for me. My problem lay solely with my cousin's behavior—he was a total jerk. Moreover, it was Adam's continual allegiance to my cousin, driven by his desire to please his father, that troubled me.