C H A P T E R 17

As I entered the Eden Hall cafeteria, my gaze immediately gravitated toward the Ducks, seated together and enjoying their lunch.

Determinedly, I made my way towards them, the echoing sound of my boot heels resonating through the bustling cafeteria.

The jovial atmosphere among the Ducks abruptly ceased as they registered my approach, the table falling into an uneasy silence. Standing before them, arms crossed, I exuded an air of confrontation, the tension palpable in the charged moment.

"'Varsity sucks ice,' real mature, guys," I spat, narrowing my eyes at them with a mixture of disappointment and frustration. "And freezing our clothes? Did I or we do something to deserve that treatment from you?"

Charlie's words cut through the tension without a glance in my direction. "Why don't you ask your boyfriend? Seems like he's back to his old habits, huh?" he remarked, his tone carrying a hint of accusation, adding to the brewing conflict between us.

"What happened?" I inquired, seeking clarity from my former teammates.

"Well, after the game, we found our clothes drenched in the shower," Germaine explained.

"So, you're automatically pointing fingers at my boyfriend, who knows nothing about this? Why freeze our clothes when you could've directed this at Riley and his followers?" I sighed, frustration evident in my voice as I grappled with their unfair accusations.

"Well, how can you be so sure Banks knows nothing about that?" Charlie retorted, glancing at me with a slight frown, his skepticism evident.

"Because I'm certain he wouldn't be involved in such immature schemes," I defended firmly.

"Of course, you'd defend him, he's your boyfriend," Charlie spat out in frustration.

"What's going on, Conway? You've been acting strange," I remarked, narrowing my eyes, and sensing the unusual shift in Charlie's behavior.

A tense silence enveloped the surrounding tables as others also observed Charlie's unusual behavior, causing an uncomfortable atmosphere to settle among us.

Charlie remained silent until Riley's voice cut through the tension, breaking the uneasy quiet that had taken hold of the cafeteria.

"Hey, congrats on the Blake game," Riley greeted with what seemed like the fakest smile I'd ever witnessed.

I felt Adam's hand gently wrap around my waist, his chin finding a spot on my shoulder as he flashed a grin at the group before us.

I noticed Charlie rolling his eyes and letting out a huff before responding to my cousin's words.

"Yeah, right. We tied," he retorted, shaking his head in disagreement.

Riley, undeterred, continued, "Hey, a point's a point. We're all Warriors now. Are you all set for dinner on Friday?"

"Dinner?" I questioned, a puzzled frown forming on my face.

"Yes, my dear cousin," Riley replied, glancing in my direction. "It's an Eden Hall tradition. Varsity treats the freshmen to dinner. Round up your group and meet us at 6:00 at Minnesota Club, Downtown."

"Wait a second," I interrupted, incredulous. "You, infamous Rick Riley, suddenly inviting them? You think I'd allow that?"

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Relax, Ella. It's a tradition."

I was about to protest, but he beat me to it, offering, "Anyone need a ride? We can take you. You guys like steak and seafood, right?"

"Yeah, we do," Charlie replied without much thought.

"Look, I don't like you guys, okay?" Cole interjected. "But this is a tradition. At Eden Hall, I learned to care about tradition," he explained before leaving, following the others as Riley departed, leaving me and Adam behind.

"Does he look like he cares about traditions?" I muttered, scrunching my face in disbelief.

"It's cool," Adam reassured the group before us, prompting a sigh of relief from them. Trusting Adam's assurance, they nodded in agreement.

As the two of us exited the cafeteria, our fingers intertwined, we strolled through the serene hallway of the school.

"Are you sure we can trust them?" I inquired, a hint of uncertainty in my voice.

Adam nodded in affirmation before flashing a reassuring smile down at me. "Yeah," he confirmed confidently.

***

I hurriedly rushed around my room, realizing I was running late for dinner. Taking one last glance at myself in the mirror, I checked my appearance before hastily stepping out of my room.

I wore a black silky dress with delicate straps, its hemline stopping just above my knees. My hair was fashioned into a messy yet stylish bun, framing my face, complemented by dangling diamond earrings.

"Whoa, where are you headed?" Aunt Tess inquired, taking in my appearance with curiosity.

"Off to the Minnesota Club, Downtown, for dinner," I responded, slipping into my black 3-inch heels.

"Going on a date with Adam, are we?" she teased, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Unfortunately, no. Riley mentioned something about a tradition," I replied, steadying myself after securing my heels.

"Riley? Your cousin from your father's side?" Aunt Tess sought clarification, to which I nodded in confirmation.

"Wow, didn't realize he was studying at Eden Hall," she remarked, surprised by the revelation.

"Yeah, quite an unfortunate coincidence," I sighed, fastening the bracelet my mom had given me around my wrist before heading toward the front door.

"Oh, could you, um... drop me there?" I asked hesitantly as I turned around, a shy smile playing on my lips. Aunt Tess chuckled softly before nodding in agreement. "Of course."

Fortunately, the journey to our destination wasn't excessively lengthy. As we arrived, I expressed my gratitude, saying, "Thanks for the ride," accompanied by a warm smile, before swiftly making my way into the elegant confines of the fancy restaurant.

[𝟑] 𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 | adam banksजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें