C H A P T E R 8

I ran into someone as I was walking down the corridor to meet them on the rink.

"Charlie? I thought you guys went to the rink already."

"I could say the same thing to you," he muttered, scratching his neck awkwardly.

"I used the restroom, remember?" I chuckled, reminding him.

"Right, come on, we should probably head there right now."

"So, how are you feeling right now?" he questioned, as I furrowed my brow and glanced up at him.

I suddenly realized how much taller he and Adam have grown.

"Why the sudden question, Conway?" I asked, chuckling.

"You just seem fine now," he shrugged at me.

If only you knew.

"Yeah, I guess," I muttered.

A girl with brunette hair and lovely blue eyes came in front of us as we were walking down the stairs to exit the hallway.

"Hi. Uh, will you guys sign a petition?"  

"Uh..." Charlie murmured as he lingered over the girl, resulting me to nudge him.

"Uh, yeah, sure."

"So, what's it for?" I asked.

"We're demanding the board change the demeaning Warrior name." The girl explained.

"Well, Warriors isn't so bad, is it? I mean, you got the Indians, the Braves, the Redskins, the Blackhawks." The brunette boy beside me ranted.

"You two are a jock, aren't you?" The girl asked, looking at me and Charlie in a judging stare.

"Yeah, we play hockey. In fact, I'm the captain of the new J.V. Team." Charlie said, trying to impress the girl, but she didn't seem interested.

"Forget about it. All you Warrior jocks stick together." She swiftly turned around, leaving us standing here.

"But I'm not a Warrior, I'm a Duck." The boy beside me exclaimed but the girl just ignored him.

"Um, what a bitch," I murmured, but only Charlie could hear me.

"You know you're terrible at impressing people," I said as we continued our walk.

"What?"

"Or maybe she was just a jerk," I shrugged.

"But you seem to like her," I taunted as I softly nudged his shoulder.

"No, she's not my type," he answered, rolling his eyes.

"You sure, Conway?"

He simply replied, "Yep."

"Then what is your type?" I asked, my eyes squinting at him. He chuckled softly before speaking.

"Hmm, let's say I like the girl who enjoys reading books."

"Well, that girl does appear to enjoy reading books," I shrugged.

"Then a girl with a fiery personality, a love of music, a sense of style, and, above all, who knows how to play hockey."

I nodded before revealing who had been on my mind.

"You liked Connie?"

"What?! No way Connie is like a sister to me!" he exclaimed, his face disgusted leading me to laugh.

"Alright, alright."

"How about Julie?"

"Nope, not her," he said, shaking his head.

"Then who is?! And it's certainly not me, Conway," I said, rolling my eyes at him, but he remained silent, not denying anything.

As we approached the locker room, where everyone was present, our chat was cut off.

"Hey, guys," I spoke as I approached Adam, who was staring at us in confusion.

"Didn't know you were with, Charlie."

"Yeah, just bumped into him in the hallway after I used the restroom," I said as I pecked his lips.

"Oi, lovebirds, get a room!" shouted Goldberg.

"Oh, we will," Adam answered, smirking at them, making them all groaned in disgust.

I laughed at their reaction and slapped Adam's chest gently.

We all exited the locker room as soon as we finished putting on our equipment and walked to the rink.

"Wow, this place is great," Fulton exclaimed as we watched the Warriors practice on the ice.

"I'm not judging them, but they look like assholes," I whispered to Banks beside me, not taking my gaze away from the Warriors.

"It could be." he shrugged.

As it was our turn to practice, we began strolling to the bench.

Someone, or should I say my cousin, Rick Riley, showed up in front of Charlie.

"If it isn't Captain Ducky."

Fulton pushed him away instantly. "Get your hands off of him."

"Ooh, look. A Bash Brother," Riley's companion said. "I'm so scared."

Well, shit my not-so-dear cousin just saw me.

"Well, if it isn't my dear cousin here, hello, Ella." He began with an irritating smile on his face, which caused me to glare at him.

"Well, if it isn't Ricky Rile. How's it going my not-so-dear cousin?" I answered sarcastically.

This time it was his turn to scowl at me, and I simply grinned cynically.

"You little-"

Their coach interrupted him and pushed them away before he could complete his remarks.

"Told you they were assholes," I muttered, but they were all staring at me.

"What?"

"Rick Riley's your cousin?" Adam asked.

"Unfortunately."