Two Can Play Games

I cried to sleep that night, the next, and the next until there was nothing left in me but hopelessness.

Ever since coming to this god-forsaken place, Riccardo tried to isolate me, but this time I isolated myself from everyone.

I want to gather my strengths before facing Riccardo and Elena to prevent them from knowing how fragile I actually am and how easy it is to break me.

As if they already don't know.

I don't want to show them more weaknesses because I know Riccardo will use them against me, and so will Elena.

Riccardo always has the upper hand under any circumstances. He knows the places that hurt and keeps coming at them, not caring how much it hurts or the consequences.

Riccardo is not a man who pays the price; he makes people pay them instead.

If I want to survive Riccardo, I'm going to need to be just like him. Cold, emotionless, and empty.

I woke up early today with a new determination. I take a long shower to relax my stiff muscles due to stress before putting on black asymmetric shorts and a black seamless off-shoulder top. I put on black ankle boots that matched my black backpack.

I brush my hair and wear simple makeup before leaving my room.

My heart hammers in my chest as I descend the stairs. I glance around the room before my gaze lands on him.

Riccardo is sitting at the head of the table while speaking with Tommy. He has his signature outfit with black slacks and a white dress shirt without a tie. His tattooed and toned chest is full on display, just like his veiny and tattooed arms.

I awkwardly stand there until Riccardo notices me before looking at me up and down with a raised eyebrow. His eyes are void of emotion, and his face is blank as he waits for me to speak up.

Images of him covered in blood and a crazed look on his face pop into my head, making me nauseous as I keep looking at him. A shiver goes down my spine as I try to maintain a composed facade.

However, it doesn't go unnoticed by Riccardo as the side of his lips quirks up.

He is enjoying this.

Elena glances up at me from her food and clears her throat. "Daisy, I am so glad you could finally join us." She looks nervous as she gestures for a seat next to Tommy. "Take a seat," she says.

I shake my head while biting my lip. "I don't want to be late for our lecture."

Riccardo leans forward to the table, puts his elbows on it, and rubs his lower lips with the pad of his thumb.

His hot gaze burns holes in my body. "Don't you forget something?" Riccardo asks questioningly.

Thankfully, Elena comes to my rescue. "My brother demands to be informed whenever we leave the premises." She mumbles quickly. She wants to get away from here as much as I do.

"It's a good thing that I am the jailbird in this household, isn't it?" I raise an eyebrow while glaring at Riccardo, "I'm sure your brother is already informed of our schedule."

I am done being scared.

Riccardo chuckles before turning to Elena. "She is right, Cucciola." He turns his gaze to me, and the amusement in his eyes is long gone. "She is aware of the weight of her decision." He maintains eye contact with me as a dark glint appears in his eyes. "She is not dense enough to cross me again."

I stare blankly at him to show that his words mean nothing to me. "If we are done with today's threats, I'd like to go." I motion the elevator with my hand as I walk towards it.