Thirty five

The Queen couldn’t keep thoughts of her eldest daughter out of her mind since she’d left for Westercourt three days ago. Something didn’t sit right about the way she had left so early that day without waiting to be waved off by her own mother.

Cheryl had skilfully managed to avoid talking to her about the answer to the proposal which she was going to be giving on her visit. It then worried Penelope further as she hadn’t heard anything upon the matter. Also, if the Viscounts had sent a carriage to fetch Cheryl, why had it been so early in the morning? The Queen chose that she had waited long enough for any news and so was going to send a letter to Westercourt and hoped for a reply by that same evening.

The Queen now wished she had written sooner for the reply that she got set her gut twisting in horrific despair as she sat and read the letter at the dinner table with her husband and daughter present.

The Princess was not presently at Westercourt; it seems there had never been a plan for her to visit, much to the family’s disappointment. The King and Queen couldn’t make any sense of what had happened, had their daughter been lured away by some savage?

The King ordered Mattias to speak to the Serpents at once to see if anyone has any inkling of where his daughter was. The longest hour of their life passed and Mattias returned with the information that no, no one knew where their daughter could be. One strange report from the Serpents thought was that one of their own was missing too. They demanded to know who and the soldier informed them that the missing Serpent was Anton Topaz; Toni’s brother.

Penelope and Clifford minds started to run riot with despair; creating unfathomable scenarios and nightmares as to where their daughter was and with whom. They started to discuss the idea that the siblings have taken Cheryl and who knows what they’re doing to her.

Their verbal distress was halted by the words that their youngest daughter spoke, “I don’t think they’ll hurt her.” Believe it or not, she was trying to protect the twins by what she was saying.

Penelope almost jumped on her daughter, “What do you mean, why do you think that? Betty if you know something you must tell us darling.” She searched the blonde’s eyes for the answers she was seeking.

“Cheryl wasn’t forced to go anywhere.”

“You know where she is.” Clifford was desperate that she shared this information with them.

“She’s safe.” Betty concluded. The Princess didn’t want to break Cheryl’s trust and tell their parents where she’d gone. Betty hoped they got there anyway. It was just that she hated seeing her parents so distraught and pained.

Penelope grasped Betty's shoulders to pull her entire attention, “Elizabeth you must tell us now!”

She was quite shocked at her mother’s behaviour; she wasn’t hurting her, but she was so desperate. Betty hated to see her mother like this and felt she had to ease her suffering, “She’s gone to the Southside with Toni and Anton.”

Penelope seemed to calm slightly, releasing her daughter with a confused look, “Why would she go there with them?”

“I don’t know.” Betty shrugged and shook her head, but couldn’t keep eye contact with the Queen.

Penelope placed her hands on her hip and stared her daughter down, “Betty you’ve never been able to lie to me; please tell me everything.” She’d moved to her daughter’s side and crouched next to her, clasping her freckled hand in her own.

Betty let out a huff feeling trapped, “They’ve run away to the Southside together.”

Penelope straightened to stand, “Why would…?”

“… because they love each other.” Betty finished, cutting her mother off from wondering any further.

It was as if the last puzzle piece had been slid into place as realisation crossed the Queen’s face, “Cheryl and Anton. That’s why she couldn’t give Reginald an answer!”

“We need to go after them.” Clifford spoke for the first time in a while as he stood closer to his wife, hand on her lower back.

Betty decided not to say anything further and correct her mother; that was for Cheryl to share with her parents.

Penelope turned back to her middle child, “Thank you for telling us Betty, I know what it means to break the trust of family. We will see you when we get back, hopefully with your sister.” The Queen made as if to leave the room with Clifford.

Betty leapt off her chair and spoke up, “I’m coming with you. You’re not leaving me here; plus she’ll think I stabbed her in the back if I’m not there!”

The King and Queen looked to one another before Penelope looked to the young blonde, “Fine. Go and pack a bag; we’re leaving at first light.”