Twenty nine

After exhausting all the other options, Cheryl found the woman she’d been looking for sat on the rocks overlooking the island. She climbed up next to her, like she’d done before, what was new were the tears that the Serpent brushed away before turning to look at her.

“I’m so sorry Toni.” Cheryl wrapped an arm around the woman who instinctively leaned into her embrace.

Toni was no longer crying and turned to speak to the redhead. “Why didn’t you just tell me about Reggie proposing?"

Cheryl searched Toni’s eyes for any signs of hatred, and found none. She breathed aloud before answering. “In truth, I didn’t know how. I know we’ve always said that whatever our futures bring we’ll be together, but having something actually change is too frightening right now.”

“I told you months ago that you don’t ever have to spare a thought for my feelings when this was to happen.” A tad ironic considering how upset hearing about a proposal made her. But just because she said Cheryl didn’t have to think of her feeling, doesn’t mean that they won’t exist.

“But selfishly, it’s my feelings too TT. I’d have to give up part of myself to be his wife when all I want is for you to have that part!” Cheryl stood as she felt herself becoming too uncomfortable sitting on the hard rocks. She offered her hands out to Toni and pulled her up.

“So you haven’t said yes?” The brunette asked as the climbed down from the rocks.

Cheryl shook her head. “I haven’t told him anything, he said he’ll await my answer. I wanted to discuss it with you. It’s our future that this will affect.” She helped Toni down from the last ledge.

“So we’d live in Westercourt, what’s that like?” Toni linked their arms and started to walk back towards the castle grounds.

Cheryl felt her fears melt away as she stepped in time to the woman next to her. “From what I remember there’s a lot of trees.”

Toni nodded and looked to the woman next to her. “We’ll be alright Cher.”

“I know we will.” Cheryl agreed as she pulled Toni even closer. The pair walked in contemplative silence until the redhead asked, “Where were you earlier?”

“I came rushing to your room as soon as I could, but you weren’t there and the bed was already made.” Toni rushed to explain.

“I do know how to make a bed you know.” Cheryl taunted, amusement in her voice as she lightly pushed the brunette away.

“I don’t know what happened this morning, I’m so sorry!” The Serpent still felt the need to explain her absence.

“It really is fine TT. It was my fault for keeping you awake so late anyway.” The Princess smiled trying to ease the woman’s worries.

It didn’t seem to. “Do the King and Queen know?”

Cheryl shook her head. “No. There’s no need for them to know.”

“But I missed my duties!”

Cheryl stopped the pair and looked the brunette in the eyes. “They didn’t notice a thing, it’s all fine. You don’t need to worry. Now can we please, just enjoy this walk?”

Toni’s answer came in the form of a nod and stepping forward with the Princess.

The pair were following one of the garden paths that led directly under her father’s office window. Due to the warm weather they’d been having, one of the windows had been left open. The conversation being had in the office at that moment was supposed to be a private one, but unbeknownst to the two people talking, the individual responsible for the topic of conversation was just outside in earshot.

“Do you think she’s being too picky?” The King’s voice could be heard bordering on desperation.

The Queen’s voice joined his, “I don’t think it’s fair to force her to feel something for him.”

“What if she’s doing it to spite us?”

Mirth could be heard in Penelope’s voice as she replied to her husband’s absurd thoughts. “Now that’s just silly Cliff. She’s just new to love, maybe she needs a little more time to think it through. They’re well matched for each other. Once she realises this you’ll see, there’ll be no stopping her! She’ll be married with a family before we know it.”

“Maybe we should help her along.” The King’s voice was fainter as if he’d been pacing the room and stopped.

“What are you thinking Clifford?” The Queen didn’t sound convinced.

“We could try and convince her to accept him, hope she hasn’t scared him off with this ‘thinking’ thing. Or if that fails, we could send her on a tour of the more local kingdoms and see if being away from Betty and Riverdale will convince her to grow up and settle down.” The Princess could imagine the animated way her father spoke with his hand movements.

“Don’t you think that’s a little too much, we can give her more time.” Penelope stressed to her equally stressed husband.

He huffed before admitting. “I’m just worried that she’s never going to find a husband and then she’ll have nothing. If nothing changes soon, we really are going to have to arrange something for her, she can’t just throw this chance away.”

Toni saw the panic written across the redhead’s face. “Cher you need to breathe!” She caught her as her knees seemed to buckle from under her.

The Princess began to hyperventilate as panic seized her body at her parents' words.

“Slowly, in and out, in and out.” Toni held her in her arms and tried to coax Cheryl to breathe normally, but the Princess couldn’t focus on the brunette as the world swirled around her.

“They’re going to force me into marrying him or send me away!” It’s one thing to choose to marry a man as a front, but it’s another to be forced into it.

Toni fought the urge to wrap Cheryl up in her arms protectively when she really needed the air around her. “It’ll be okay, we’ll make it all okay. You just need to try to breathe.” The Serpent reminded as calmly as she could as she sat with the Princess in the gravel.

The Serpent woman’s heart broke a little bit more with every desperate gasp of breath Cheryl took. Toni was going to do all she could to make sure she was true to her word; everything will be okay.

𝐌𝐫𝐬. 𝐌𝐚𝐣𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐲 | ChoniOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara