Thirty one

The beam of sunlight peeking through the curtain fell perfectly onto the bed framing Toni’s face, well Cheryl thought so anyway. The Princess was content on lying there, marvelling at the woman in her bed as she waited for her to wake.

Cheryl soon started to grow impatient and started to comb her fingers through the sort of brunette strands of hair that fell around the Serpent woman’s face; it was a rare thing for her to wear her hair down. Cheryl took every chance to run her fingers through it and get lost in its silky texture. Finally, after much waiting on the redhead’s behalf, Toni began to stir. Cheryl's hand stilled, but not before Toni realised what had woken her.

“Good morning.” She stretched her limbs and groaned.

“Good morning birthday girl.” Cheryl had slid right up next to the other woman and had whispered in her ear. The redhead then moved her lips down to capture the brunette’s.

Once she was released Toni asked. “How did you know it was my birthday?” She smiled up at the woman hovering over her.

“Never you mind.” Cheryl whispered again as she left a kiss to Toni’s cheek this time.

“Anton! He only told you that so you know it’s his birthday too!” Toni laughed as Cheryl left light kisses down her neck, tickling her.

“I have a surprise for you later.” Cheryl informed the birthday girl as she stopped her teasing and finally pulled away from the brunette. “Though it’s not really going to be a surprise because I’m telling you about it now, but even so....” She went off on a tangent to rival Betty which made Toni chuckle at her.

“What is this not surprise?” She draped her arms around the redhead and pulled her into her body.

“I thought we could steal away to the field and have a picnic, and we can stay as long as we like.” Cheryl shared with excitement at the prospect of spending the entire day together uninterrupted.

Toni pulled her face away from the warmth of the other woman to look her in the face as she asked. “How are we going to pull that off?”

The Princess smiled up to her. “I may have someone working on the inside.”

“Anton.” Toni decided as she watched the smile on the redhead’s lips.

“You can thank him later and remind him that I owe him a ride on Lucy.” Cheryl finished by snuggling back into Toni with her head tucked under the other woman’s chin.

Another question came to the Serpent’s mind. “How can you afford to spend an entire afternoon with me?”

“You can thank Betty for that one.” The Princess’ words were muffled as she spoke into the brunette’s neck.

“What would we do without our siblings, eh?” Toni, once again, pulled Cheryl into her arms tightly and fully rested her chin on top of her head.

She hated her mind for wandering as she lay there content. Once Cheryl accepts Reggie and the pair make their move to Westercourt, it will be impossible to enjoy time together like this. Unbeknownst to the brunette, the Princess in her arms was thinking the exact same thing.

________

The Princess was guiding a very restless Toni through the woodland off of the gardens of the castle. She kept glancing behind her to ensure the Serpent woman was still there even though she had her hand in her own. “Do you have your eyes closed?”

“Yes! But I’m afraid you’re going to have me walking into a tree.” Toni declared as she swung her free arm around in front of her.

“You don’t trust me?” Cheryl teased as she pulled Toni along.

Toni let out a huff. “Of course I do.” Otherwise she’d just open her eyes instead of looking ridiculous throwing her arm around.

Cheryl chuckled at the other woman. “Then stop thinking I’m going to make you walk into a tree. It’s only a little further now anyway.” She noted as she saw more daylight up ahead.

The Princess herself let out a breath of admiration and dropped Toni’s hand. Betty had outdone herself. At hearing Cheryl’s own reaction Toni flew open her eyes to take in the scene.

In the middle of all the wildflowers was a huge blanket spread out, adorned by cushions. A basket was left too, Cheryl noted it looked a lot fuller than when she’d seen it last. There was even a bottle of wine and two glasses. Toni turned to the Princess in awe but was stopped when she held up a hand to stop her.

“This was all Betty! I asked her to bring down the items I’d left with her last night, but it seems she took her own initiative.” She would never be able to repay her sister for all the effort she’d obviously put in.

“Shall we?” Toni asked as she held out her hand to the redhead.

The Princess let the Serpent lead her over to the cosy setting amongst the wildflowers and tall grass. Toni sat down first, settling into the cushions before beckoning the redhead to join her.

Cheryl didn’t need telling twice and moved to settle next to the brunette. Toni wasted no time in diving into the basket of treats, pulling each thing out with noises of appreciation that brought an easy smile to Cheryl’s lips.

“You’ve outdone yourself.” Toni informed as she turned to look at the redhead as she placed a sun-warmed berry into her mouth.

Colour grew on Cheryl’s cheeks. “Once again, it was really Betty more than me.”

Toni placed another berry in her mouth before pointing out. “But it was your idea in the first place.”

Cheryl shrugged off the compliment. “I just wanted you to have something special on your birthday.”

“If that’s how birthdays work, it must be my birthday every day since you kissed me back.” The brunette knew she sounded ridiculous and laughed at her own words.

Colour rose even more on the Princess’ cheeks. She chose to clear her throat and offer. “Shall we open the wine and toast your day?”

Toni nodded with the biggest smile on her face that Cheryl had ever seen. This was the first time that the pair had ever truly had any privacy. They could fully relax with one another and Toni seemed to be enjoying it. She passed the Princess the two glasses before opening the wine bottle and pouring some out. Cheryl gave her one of the glasses once she'd set the bottle down next to them.

The redhead held up her glass. “To you, Antoinette Topaz, on your day. I wish you all the happiness this world has to offer. I love you.”

The pair ignored the tears collecting in the brunette’s eyes as they clinked their glasses together before taking a sip.

They spent the next hour or so sitting as closely as they physically could while enjoying the spread of food Betty had put together. Toni had managed to prop herself in a half-laying, half-sitting position and Cheryl had curled into her, with her head on her chest. They stayed contented, listening to the wildlife around them as the wind fluttered through the leaves of the trees.

“This has been the best birthday I’ve ever had, thank you.” Toni looked down and left a kiss to the top of the Princess’ head.

Dread fell into the depths of Cheryl’s stomach at Toni’s words. She can’t help but start to think about where they’ll be for the next one. In Westercourt there would be a very little chance of them spending time together like this. What kind of life was that for Toni when she’s only going to continue to be her Lady’s Maid in an effort to stay together?

Cheryl could at least make some sort of life for herself as Reggie’s wife, but the Serpent would be stuck watching it happen. She couldn’t do that to her, she loved her too much to let that happen. “Toni?” She sat up off the brunette and sat to face her.

“Hmm?” She hummed soaking in the feel of the sun on her face, but once she’d felt the redhead move she opened her eyes.

“I don’t want to marry Reggie.”