Eight

The month had passed that Clifford had told the Riverdallian man to wait, but he couldn’t with a clear conscious return the Serpent man to him. His wife helped him come up with a plan. They would pay the Riverdallian man for the trouble of losing his slave while they would offer Samson a place in the castle.

Cheryl and Toni had said their goodbyes to Samson, tomorrow he was going to be introduced to the Serpents downstairs and given a cot in the sleeping quarters, and were walking silently in the darkened halls.

“Toni, I’ve really enjoyed the time we’ve spent together this last month with Samson.” Cheryl found herself saying as she thought about how they’ll no longer have an excuse to see each other every night.

“So have I.” The brunette admitted too.

“Though, what I’m trying to say is that even though I’ve enjoyed getting to know Samson, I haven’t gotten to know you as well. Will you come and sit with me a little longer?” It was true, even though she’d loved the time she’d spent with Toni over the last month, it wasn’t really the alone time she’d liked from before.

Toni didn’t know how to say no, or even if she wanted to. So she just nodded while trying to hide her growing smile. She followed the slightly taller girl through the castle before following her into a room. The Princess’ room. She knew it from when she’d stripped the bed and remade it every morning. She’d never been in the room in the presence of the Princess though, not before right now.

“Will you come and sit?” While Toni had been looking around the room Cheryl had sat herself down on one side of her bed. Toni gingerly made her way over and perched on the other side of the bed.

“A month ago Samson spoke about your parents?” Cherryl spoke to Toni’s back.

Toni nodded, “Yeah, he must have known them from the Southside.” She wondered how long it would take Cheryl to bring up what she’d heard a month ago.

“He spoke about them in the past tense, what happened? If you don’t mind me asking.” The brunette still had her back to her.

This was probably going to be easier to say without looking at the brown-eyed woman behind her. “After my brother and I were born the King, your grandfather, ordered them to be executed. We were made an example of. Not only have the Serpents been taken away from their home, but now they can’t even share love with each other. We were the reminder that we can’t take an inch. We have no freedom.” She wiped at an angry and pain-filled tear as it slipped from her eye.

“I’m so sorry.” Cheryl fought to keep the tears in her own eyes.

“It’s not your fault.” Toni finally turned to look over her shoulder and gave a watery smile.

“But surely you look at me and my family and all you see is murder!?” Cheryl knew it was self-sacrificial but she carried the guilt of her grandfather’s actions all her life.

Toni gave a small nod, “I’ll admit I used to, but seeing your father’s actions in the last month. I can’t think of him like his father. Your father is an honourable man for the way he’s helped Samson.”

Cheryl felt pride swell in her chest. She knew her father wasn’t perfect, but he was a far better man than her grandfather. “Thank you for saying that.” Cheryl nodded and smiled at the woman.

“It’s the truth.” The Serpent insisted.

“It would mean a great deal to him to hear it. He struggles. He feels he has to follow in his father’s footsteps. He feels he has to follow what the people of Riverdale have known and are accustomed to, but he doesn’t agree with the way things are.” The redhead shared not knowing if it was too much.

“Well, the changes he has made so far have been appreciated by my people and my back.” She laughed. “But this bed would be like sleeping on a cloud.” The girl had finally laid down next to the redhead as she spoke about her father. They lay facing one another on top of the sheets as darkness wrapped around them.

“Now I’m going to feel bad when you’re asleep in your cot and I’m up here.” Cheryl couldn’t draw her eyes away from Toni’s brown ones.

The brunette gave a signature smirk, “Well then maybe I’ll have to stay.”

“Maybe you will.” She yawned.

“Go to sleep Cheryl, I’ll see you in the morning.” Toni whispered to the sleepy Princess.

"Night.” It wasn’t long before sleep claimed the redhead with the Serpent girl watching on.