Twelve

Cheryl scrunched up her closed eyes as light seemed to stream onto her face.

“Do you usually sleep in this late? I didn’t know if I should wake you, we never discussed it last night.”

“TT?” She mumbled out to the girl that the voice belonged to. She didn’t know where the nickname came from, but they wouldn’t admit that they both quite liked it.

The redhead finally opened her eyes and sat up to see Toni had opened the curtains and had left a tea tray next to her bed before spotting the girl laying out an outfit for the day.

“Do you want to wear this red one or the black one?”

Her sleep-addled brain could only say, “Red” before continuing with, “Why don’t you sit down and we can have some tea?”

 “I hardly think that’s appropriate for a Lady’s maid.” The Serpent woman scoffed as she put away the black dress.

Toni seemed to be on a mission to fulfil the duties of a Lady's Maid to the highest standard, fit for the King and Queen. Cheryl had other ideas.

“Well, you aren’t just any Lady’s Maid, you’re my friend too.”

Even given the initial protest, Toni hadn’t spared a second thought in joining Cheryl. The Serpent girl swung her legs idly as she sat with Cheryl facing her sitting cross-legged.

The Princess noted that Toni had bought up an extra tea cup and smirked as she poured the tea. “Honey?”

“Hmm?” She watched her feet.

A small chuckle. “Do you take honey in your tea?”

“Oh” darkening of her cheeks, “No, thank you.”

________

Penelope noticed her daughter yawn for the fourth time since taking a seat at breakfast. “Cheryl, dear, are you free to speak with me after we’ve eaten?”

Cheryl looked to the Queen. “Of course, Mother.”

It wasn’t too long before Elizabeth and their father had finished their breakfast and departed the dining room.

Penelope turned to her eldest daughter. “You seem awfully tired Cheryl?”

Cheryl was now on her guard. “I guess I haven’t been sleeping all that well.” Toni has been very distracting.

Penelope pursed her lips before continuing, “I think it’s more than that. I know you haven’t been in your bedroom; you’ve been missing when I’ve checked in on you. I want you to know that I trust you darling, but you have a position of high standing. I need you to be conducting yourself appropriately. You need to be well-rested and acting respectfully. I hope we understand one another by what I’m saying.” The woman’s eyes burned into the Princess’.

If the Princess was being completely honest, she didn’t really have much of a clue about what her mother was suggesting. She could guess, but she still couldn’t work out why her mother would be thinking anything ill of her. She’d never done anything to cause her mother worry.

Cheryl needed to appease her mother so she’d think no further on it and so shared the truth, well as of last night anyway. “I’ve been in the library reading late into the night. I hadn’t realised how much energy it had been taking up. I apologise if I worried you Mother, but that’s all there is to it.”

A sigh of relief slipped from Penelope. “I’m glad you are taking the time to immerse yourself in some literature, but from now on can you sign the book out and continue your nighttime reading in your bedroom?”

Cheryl nodded sweetly. “Of course Mother, I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that myself.” She left a kiss to her mother’s cheek before making her own departure from the room. That was a close call.

a/n
Short chapter, but thank you all for reading and voting x