Twenty four

It was much later in the afternoon and she’d tried to distract herself all day reading, trying to avoid any thought about the ball. Cheryl huffed as she noted the time, knowing that Toni would be up soon to help her get ready. She stood to make her way to her room, when her mother appeared through the doorway.

“There you are. I just wanted to see how you were doing.” The Queen asked her daughter. Cheryl didn’t seem to have an answer for her mother and so she continued. “Have you got everything you need for tonight?”

Cheryl nodded and finally spoke. “I think between Betty, Toni, and I, we have it all covered thank you.”

Penelope nodded. “That’s good then.” She stalled after turning away from her daughter to leave before turning back. “I love you, you do know that, very much?”

Cheryl’s heart almost broke in two at her mother’s words. “Of course I know that Mother, I love you too.” The Princess gave very little added thought as she stepped over to the Queen and hugged her. They hadn’t hugged since Cheryl was a child; she’d missed the contact.

Toni stopped in her tracks as she made out the tender scene in front of her as she entered the reception room in search of Cheryl. “I apologise your Majesty, your Highness.” The Serpent woman bowed to them each as she stood awkwardly in the doorway.

The Queen released her daughter and wiped at her eyes before addressing the other woman kindly. “No need, Antoinette.”

Toni always found it so uncomfortable speaking with the Queen. She wonders if it’s because she has such a big matriarchal presence which she’s lacked her whole life. She nodded passed the Queen to the Princess behind her who was wiping at her own tears. “I was just looking to see if the Princess was ready to start changing?”

Cheryl answered instead of her mother. “Yes, I think I am. I’ll see you soon Mother.” She squeezed the Queen’s hand as she slipped passed her to lead Toni to her room.

Once the door was closed Toni gently asked. “Are you okay?”

Cheryl nodded reassuringly. “We were just being silly really. Now where shall we start, so we can get this over with?” The Princess had to let out a laugh at the situation as she looked over the gown Toni had hung up for her.

“Let’s start with the dress.” Toni nodded knowing that Cheryl didn’t want to talk about it anymore.

The girls moved quickly and seamlessly, and an hour later Cheryl was putting on the earrings that Betty had lent her. “How do I look?”

Toni had just secured the last pin in the redhead’s hair, making sure every strand was held in place neatly, and looked at the Princess in the mirror. “Your beauty makes me speechless.”

“You’re being daft.” Cheryl declared as she spun around in the chair and stood to stand almost flush with the brunette. Their lips were millimetres from one another’s now. “But thank you nonetheless.” The Princess finished by leaving a light kiss to the woman’s lips, careful not to smudge her painted lips.

When a knock came from the door the two jumped apart to a safe distance. “Come in.” Cheryl called to the person on the other side.

Betty came in with a knowing smile until she actually took in the sight of her sister. “Oh Cheryl you look beautiful!”

Toni couldn’t agree more. The off-the-shoulder snow gown with overlapping skirts of different shades of red. All the beading and embroidery adding to the flawless look. How her red hair framed her face perfectly where it was pulled back, accented by her tiara.  Knowing it was just Betty in the room, Toni felt slightly brave and leant over to say quietly into the redhead’s ear. “See? It’s not just me who thinks so.”

Cheryl tried to school her reaction at the brunette’s actions as she felt goose bumps ripple down her neck. She’d have thrown her arm out to hit the woman, but she’d moved away to tidy up the mess they’d made while getting ready.

Betty gushed at how cute the two were as she threw herself down on Cheryl’s bed to lay on her stomach.

Nothing further could be said as there came another knock at the door before the Queen walked in adorned in her own dark green gown. She looked the part well.

“Girls, are you ready?” Penelope stalled as she took in the sight of her eldest daughter stood in the middle of the room. “Cheryl, darling you look so grown up.”

Cheryl hated that all eyes seemed to be on her in that moment and so cleared her throat.

Penelope seemed to come around first and turned to her youngest daughter. “Betty get up from there you’ll wrinkle your dress. Guests are starting to arrive, it’s time we made our way downstairs.” She held the door for the Princess as they filed out the room.

Toni just watched them go, hopeful that Cheryl would enjoy her night more than she was predicting for herself. Penelope turned to Toni before she pulled the door closed. “Thank you, Antoinette. You’ve done an amazing job helping Cheryl get ready tonight.”

Toni just gave the Queen a smile and a bow before the door was pulled shut. She didn’t know what she was going to do now until Cheryl returned. The ball had been planned meticulously and she wasn’t needed in the kitchens anymore.