Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

"Okay then, I'll let it go for now but I would love to meet this girl soon." Mom decrees.

"Yes ma'am." I nod slugging my bag over my shoulder. "Now if you will all excuse me, I have to get to school."

"Why don't you take your new car? You still haven't driven it out of the compound." Parker suggests.

He is not wrong. I have been scared to drive the car out of our compound. I am a good driver but this is the most expensive thing I own and it's pretty new. I don't want to mess it up. Even on new year's, instead of driving it to Wesley's for the party I took Parkers car.

Mom notices the unsure look on my face so she gets up and puts her hand on my shoulder. "You will have to drive it sometime so why not start now. Our insurance coverage is pretty good and you are a great driver. It will be okay." She assures me.

Her words comfort me a little but I am still skeptical.

"Son, you are going to have to do it some time. You drive my car all the time so this is no different." Parker adds.

"Okay, I'll do it." I relent knowing they will not stop until I give in.

Mom smiles at me with a proud look on her face. "Good, drive safe."

"I will. Thanks mom."

"Anytime darling." She replies kissing my cheek.

I say goodbye to Parker and Cairo as well before I leave the dining room, grabbing my car keys from the lock box in the kitchen before entering the garage. My new wheels are parked in the same spot next to Parkers car.

Before doubt creeps in and I change my mind, I unlock it and slide behind the wheel tossing my backpack in the back seat. I start her and she purrs to life. A smile graces my lips as I put on my seatbelt and unlock the garage. Like I've done many times before with Parkers car I drive out of the garage, through our long driveway and for the first time out of our compound.

I cannot for the life of me stop smiling and I realize that I want to share this moment with my favorite person so instead of taking the usual route to school I find myself driving into the city. It does not take long for me to get to my destination.

I park in front of the historical mansion and retrieve my phone front my pocket. I dial the familiar number and she picks up immediately.

"Morning Berry."

"Hi baby." She chirps happily.

My breath hitches at the pet name. Kennedy has never used one on me before. She always calls me Iz which I don't mind but hearing such a delicate name coming from her makes my heart beat faster.

"Baby you there?" She calls out when I don't reply.

And there it is again.

I nod even though she cannot see me and clear my throat because it feels so clogged up with emotion. "Yes I'm here."

"What's up?"

"Where are you?" I ask her.

I should probably have called her before deciding to surprise her but I am hopeful that she is still at home. She is an early bird but I always manage to get to school before her.

"I'm still at home. Why? What's wrong?" She asks in a panicked tone.

"Nothing, calm down. I just thought I'd give you a ride to school today." I answer.

I hear her sigh in relief and I mentally scold myself for making her panic.

"That's nice but I don't want you going out of your way." She says.