Technical Difficulties

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

Velvet hasn't woken up yet.

It's been five minutes, and the paramedics can't get Velvet back to consciousness.

Time seemed to stretch and contract, the seconds elongating into an eternity while I crouched by her side, replaying the events in my head.

The sudden snap of three out of the four straps, the way her body jerked downwards, her hands trying to grasp something, anything. Her arms shooting out to catch herself with barely enough time to react.

The yank of the last strap as it tried to slow her fall.

The sickening thud as she hit the floor.

My mind raced, a million thoughts colliding in my head. This couldn't be happening. Not to Velvet. Not tonight.

The fall was nearly twenty feet, and Velvet had hit the stage pretty hard. The last strap had slowed her fall tremendously, but it wasn't enough. I had run out on stage as soon as she started falling, trying and desperately failing to catch her. There was silence for a few seconds when she hit the ground. Then, panic.

I called for the paramedics, who rushed to her side, their training kicking in as they assessed the situation. My legs felt like jelly as I knelt down to join them, tears of fear streaming down my face as I looked down at Velvet.

Velvet lay motionless, her eyes closed. The paramedics worked with precision, calling out medical jargon that I struggled to comprehend. A cold dread settled in the pit of my stomach as I watched them.

They weren't administering CPR, so that meant she would be okay, right? Right?

Soon, they were transferring her to a stretcher and carrying her to an ambulance. I followed in a daze, not wanting to let her leave my site. I barely registered Veneer backstage, people holding him back as he shouted and cried out for his sister.

I tried to follow Velvet into the ambulance, but I was held back as well. The words people told me were muffled in my ears - all I could think about was Velvet, lying on that stretcher.

Velvet.

She wouldn't want me to panic, to sink into thoughts of death and fatal injuries. She would want me to get up, take care of everything like I always do. To do the job she hired me for.

I took several deep breaths before running to the backstage area. It was complete and utter chaos as people tried to figure out what to do. My first instinct was to locate Veneer.

I found him being held in a room by several stagehands, trying to keep him calm. Tears flowed freely from his eyes as I entered the room.

"Y/N! Please! N-Nobody will tell me anything. What the fuck happened?"

I rushed to his side, my heart aching at the sight of his pain. "Veneer," I said softly, placing a hand on his shoulder. "The straps failed during Velvet's flying sequence. Right now, you need to get to the hospital. Velvet needs you, and panicking won't help her."

I said that more for me than for Veneer, but he seemed to understand.

He looked at me, his eyes bloodshot and filled with anguish. "I... I can't lose her, Y/N. She wasn't awake when they carried her past me."

I squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. "She will be okay. I'll call for a car. Veneer," I grasped his face in my hands, motioning for the stagehands to let go of him, "She is strong. Do you really think that Velvet would let something like this take her down?"