First Day

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"Seriously?"

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, fiddling with my poorly-manicured cuticles, suddenly feeling smaller than the perfumes and makeup selections that adorned the desk in front of me. The woman I'd met just moments ago, once curious, was now frustrated, obviously insulted by the proposition of my very existence.

"I know Velvet, but you said to hire a new assistant, and this was all I could find on short notice." Veneer, my new boss said, gesturing to me in a seemingly exasperated way.

Velvet started up again, "It's bad enough that we had to deal with Crimp, and now you bring in just some random girl off of the street."

Her emerald green hair, tied back in a luxurious ponytail, swatted against her cheek as she turned to look at me. It was the first time she'd made eye contact with me all morning, and this time it was I who broke it with a sudden shift of focus. I looked to my feet, wondering how exactly I'd landed myself in this position.

The job listing was odd enough; it was only listed as "assistant job to the stars" on several obscure websites. I knew it was probably a bust, but I showed up just this morning to the posted address, surprised to find myself at Velvet and Veneer's office. Of course I had heard about them and their music, but I had never expected to be this close to either of the twins.

Despite the clear dislike towards me, I lacked the confidence to ask to leave. Besides, this was the first job I had been able to get in weeks. Moving to Mount Rageous without a job offering was not a smart move on my part, but I had no clue what else to do after graduating.

Velvet rolled her eyes towards me again, scrutinizing my look, I'm sure. The look on my face was probably pathetic, caught so off-guard as it were, lips pulled into an awkward grimace.

"Fine."

Veneer, obviously the happier twin, turned towards me with a smile, gesturing for me to follow him. I looked back towards Velvet, who was now more interested in painting her nails a stunning shade of red than me. My legs were shaky, clad in uncomfortable business-casual, as I hurried to join Veneer as he strutted towards the door. I followed him down a long hallway with obscure doors, until we got to an elevator. From there, we went up several floors until the elevator opened to a massive foyer.

"And this is where you live now!"

I was awestruck! As I stepped onto the polished marble floor, a golden and white mosaic unfolded beneath my feet, depicting scenes of classical beauty and artistry. The floor seemed to guide me further into the expanse of the foyer, inviting exploration. For a couple of young pop stars, the twins sure knew how to decorate.

Veneer grabbed my hand in a very forward fashion, leading me further into the penthouse. He was treating me like we had known each other for years, even though we only met this morning. He brought me past large and lavish rooms, calling out what they were, but I knew had no chance of remembering. Finally, he showed me to my room, which was apparently directly across from his and Velvet's separate rooms.

My new bedroom was ten times bigger than anything I had ever lived in. It was completely furnished and stocked, and I couldn't keep a giddy smile off of my face at the thought of living in luxury.

"Wow, sir, this is absolutely amazing. You and your sister are very generous..." I trailed off at his amused expression.

"You do not have to call me sir, (Y/N). Unlike Vel, I do not require such formality. We're practically family now!" He then leaned down and whispered, as if Velvet was going to walk in at any second. "You probably want to stick with "ma'am" for Velvet, though."