| 9 |

I quietly rushed out into the sunroom with a tray in my hands. Two tea cups, along with their undercups, a tea pot with hot water I had just transferred from the kettle and mixed with the tea, at least I had taken a small procelain bowl with sugar cubes and two tea spoons.

"Millie, mr. Sim is at the door," my grandfather called out and I immediately straightened up from having placed the tray on the teatable in the sunroom.

I quickly walked out before Mira got the chance to get down from the guest room. A small smile spreading on my face as I saw Jake standing by the closed front door, gently conversing with my grandfather.

"Mr. Sim," I smiled as I reached them, quickly doing my curtsy.

"I will leave you two to it. Keep in mind we can see you from the living room," my grandfather reminded and I only nodded in return.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I have yet to find the biscuits," I excused as he hung up his coat on the coatrack beside the door.

"No need," he shook his head, "let me help you."

"It's really not necessary," I assured him, making a small smile spread on his face.

"It's not really gentleman like of me to come to a woman's house and have her work around to make me comfortable," he reminded quietly, "now... the kitchen?"

I smiled at his peculiar way of seeing it, waving for him to follow after me. I showed him into the kitchen where I found a matching porcelain plate to our tea cups and pot.

"Where do I find the biscuits?" he questioned and I glanced over at him.

"Second cupboard on the left," I replied and awaited the tin.

"Here you go," he almost sang as he placed the open tin beside me.

We both stood in silence as I arranged the biscuits on the plate, giving him a small smile before taking the plate with me out into the sunroom where Jake followed me.

"This is very nice," he commented as I placed the plate down by the tray I had brought out into the sunroom, "we'll be sitting here?"

"I'm sorry, my grandmother suggested it, seeing as I've never had anyone over for tea and..." I trailed off with a small sigh, eventually just sending him an apologetic smile.

"It's alright," he smiled widely, "don't think about it too much. What tea did you prepare?"

"My grandmother only drinks Assam leaf blends, I hope that's alright," I excused as I sweeped my skirt under myself and sat down on the couch by the tea table.

"I like most teas," he assured and sat down as well. I was about to grab the teapot to pour for both of us, "No, no. Let me. You prepared it."

"Oh... thank you," I muttered quietly and watched as he poured up both cups.

"How many sugar cubes do you like?"

"Two, please."

"I know your grandparents can see us, but you don't have to be so formal. Remember what I said? Speak comfortably and however you like around me," he assured and dropped two sugar cubes into my teacup, "you seem tense."

"Sorry," I shook my head and rubbed my forehead, quickly dropping my hand down to cover over my left hand, which I had insisted on removing the bandage off, "it's just... I don't know."

"You can tell me," he assured and extended my undercup with the teacup towards me, "I'll listen."

"Mira's been a lot these days," I admitted and he nodded quietly, "she's been in a bad mood since the ball."

"Because I escorted you home?" he questioned in shock.

"I don't know," I admitted and stirred my teaspoon in my cup, "the whole thing, I think. She's really not that happy about you not courting her."

"I should tell her directly then," he frowned and I hummed quietly, "is she home?"

"In the guestroom," I nodded and put my cup down yet again, having taken a sip I had deemed to be too hot, "I've been given permission to show you the library later. I don't know if you find interest in books, but I promise you it's fantastic nonetheless."

"I can find interest in books to a certain degree," he frowned slightly, "but to be honest, during majority of the year I am too engrossed in my studies to pick up any other books."

"Banker, right?" I questioned and he nodded.

"If I have to admit it, I don't really enjoy it," he let out a small chuckle, "my father wishes for me to take over his position when he gets too old."

"What would you rather do?" I frowned in amusement.

"I really like playing the piano," he admitted, "I'll show you one day."

"I hope so. We don't have a piano here," I let out a small sigh as I looked around the sunroom.

"What about you? What are you gonna do in the future?" he questioned and I continued to glance around as I tried to find a proper answer to the question.

"I haven't gone to school in six years," I quietly admitted, "the school down in the valley closed when I was thirteen. My grandmother taught me at home until last year when she claimed I had learned all I ever needed... even if I wanted to I couldn't possibly pursue any university degree."

"All Scottish colleges just opened for women to search into universities, regardless of what they want to study," he remarked and I nodded quietly.

"I've been out of school for too long," I shook my head quietly, "I'd love to, but I don't see it as a possibility. Besides, what could possibly be wonderful enough to get me to leave Ailea Fields?"

"I can see what you mean," he nodded in agreement, "Millie, can I ask you a question?"

"Isn't that why you asked me to drink tea with you?" I let out a small laugh and reached out to grab a biscuit.

"If we were to continue meeting up, you'd much more prefer we were doing something active?" he questioned and I nodded immediately, "how come? You seemed so much more relaxed on our walk."

"I find it to be very static to sit and just talk," I admitted, "It is really not because I don't like you, don't get the wrong idea. But I am still trying to figure you out, and I find it easier whenever I am in movement somehow."

"Then let's go for a walk next time. I'm sure there's plenty of places for you to show me in the area," he offered and I immediately nodded, "and... if I was to bring courting up at some point, how would that be?"

"Courting?" I let out a small laugh.

"Yes. Courting," he nodded to confirm as I continued to stare at him in bewilderment, "I mean... me court you," he clarified as he straightened his back further and adjusted his daytime vest over his white shirt.

"It hasn't been... I mean... grandmother mentioned it, but I haven't exactly thought about it," I admitted with a small frown, "I always thought you had to ask the father for permission."

"You do," he nodded, "but I wanted to assure with you that you didn't mind me seeing courting as my goal."

"Sorry, give me a minute," I excused and held up my hand, trying to fathom what he had just proposed to me, "I didn't expect anyone to ever court me."

"That's alright," he assured as if it was the most common thing to ask me about courting so soon.

"Can I..." I sighed and fidgeted with my hands, "ah, but grandmother said it wasn't proper."

"What?" he urged gently.

"Give space to let me know you more. As of right now I am very fond of you I suppose, but... I don't know about courting just yet. Grandmother says it only leads to marriage and is dead set once it first starts with courting. Will we be able to meet more before I can give you my definitive answer?" I questioned eagerly.

"Of course, we'll meet up some mo- what happened to your hand?" he questioned and gently reached out towards my hand with the four small red dots on it.

"Mira wasn't happy," I reminded him and he immediately frowned deeply.

Wildflowers | S.Jyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें