CHAPTER 38: YOU LOVE HER, DON'T YOU?

Airin got to the room where Elisthia and Lyanna were. Elisthia kneeled and her face was more pale than earlier with sweat trickling down her cheek and forehead. Her hair was a mess and wet from sweat too, and her breath was labored.

While Lyanna had awakened and now just stood in the middle of the room, frozen in fear.

"Airin!" Lyanna ran to her and hugged her tight. She hugged the little girl back, and she saw outside Xander stood at the edge of the grass clearing flanked by the soldiers loyal to him.

"Lyanna, please wait here," she whispered, but Lyanna refused and followed her as she walked outside. She stood a few steps from the door and she could see what was happening.

It was a cold night, but she was sweating from her nervousness and fear. Cold droplets of sweat made her shiver, but she stood quietly, her right arm embraced Lyanna, while her left hand instinctively shielded the girl's head just in case there was a sudden attack coming.

Then she saw at the edge of the forest, across from the grass clearing: Nydda. The sorceress wore all-grey white dress with shiny gold belt that was reflecting the half moonlight. Her long hair was loose, falling on both sides of her face, and she stood rigid like a wooden doll. Rovan was by her side—the king did nothing, he just seemed to stare ahead expressionless.

"I have come to offer you peace, Xander. My dear Xander. Won't you listen to this old sorceress? I, Nydda, who have stood by the House of Metiocles in all seasons?" it was strange how the voice of Nydda sounded so clear and crisp as if she stood right in front of Airin on this side of the grass clearing.

"You are Leidra. I know who you are so do not try to taint Nydda's memory with your evil doings," Xander sounded calm and assertive. He was disdainful of Leidra, that much was obvious though he was not one to get easily flattered and threatened.

Leidra sneered—that made the hairs stand up on Airin's neck. "Elisthia! That little, useless, broken lap dog has told you all! Fine. I come to offer you this, Lord Xander. Let me have Elisthia and Lyanna. Then I will spare your life, and the life of that girl from another universe!"

"No. Lyanna and Elisthia stay with me. You cannot use them to get the sword of Zeus from Rovan. I know your evil plans. You, Leidra, you should go back to the pit of hell where you are from."

"I warn you, Xander. Myrana's forces have surrounded Halgard. We can destroy you like a herd of elephants squashing ants. Your forces have fallen to my influence. As you can see, your dear brother King Rovan is ... well ... sick."

"I promise you this, Leidra. Halgard will not fall as long as I still draw breath!"

Leidra snickered. Suddenly her right hand appeared to touch the back of King Rovan's neck, and the king let out a loud cry of pain. His body convulsed as he screamed in pain.

"Father!" Lyanna shouted in between her sobs upon seeing what was happening to her father.

"Lyanna, sweet Lyanna. Look what happen to your Father! Come save him!" Leidra's voice was gentle but it could be heard all the way across the grass clearing.

Airin tightened her grab of Lyanna.

Leidra now grabbed the back of Rovan's neck, and the king screamed even louder, and his soldiers behind him just stood with no reaction whatsoever. They all looked expressionless. Rovan fell in kneeling position while still screaming in pain.

"Father!" Lyanna shouted and with one push she managed to escape from Airin, who did not expect that to happen. "Lyanna!" Airin chased her, but Leidra extended her hand and that seemed to pull Lyanna faster to get closer to her.