CHAPTER 21: TAKEN

"Airin," sounded more of a whisper to herself than an actual answer.

"Nydda, she has been helping Lyanna and I since we got here. She let us stay here, she is a kind person," Xander spoke now.

"Airin is sweet!" Lyanna chirped, and now she rushed to Nydda to give her a hug. Nydda was not having it though. She flicked the girl away. Lyanna was startled, and quietly cowered, back to Xander. That made Airin uneasy. Lyanna seemed so happy to see Nydda again that she wanted to go and hug her, and Airin worked long enough with young children to know they were not shy to people they held dear in their heart. Nydda's curt reaction shocked Lyanna, she did not understand why someone she loved would flick her away like that. Maybe Nydda was under a lot of stress, Airin explained to herself.

Nydda sighed. "Lyanna, I do not wish to be hugged right now," she said at Lyanna, who stood with a mix of confusion and disbelief look on her face. Lyanna nodded mindlessly.

"Our King Rovan sent me to bring you and Lyanna home," Nydda announced to Xander. "Let's go home. The war of elegarii is over."

"Over?" Xander tilted his head, requesting further detail from Nydda.

"Yes. Over. Myrana got tired of our staunch defense and their supplies and morale ran so low that they decided to pull back. It's in the middle of winter there in Halgard. That added more pressure for them to pull back."

Airin could see that Xander was not comfortable with Nydda and her statement about the end of Halgard-Myrana war.

"Myrana does not just get tired, Nydda. You know that. Leidra has Ares supporting her. They are dark and cunning. They will not give up so easily. Are you and Rovan sure they do not have any trick up their sleeve?"

Nydda stared into Xander's eyes for a few seconds, then smiled wryly. "Come home. Help us rebuild. Your king, your people, they need you. Your duties in Halgard await, Lord Xander. Myrana is gone. The force of Halgard, and the sword of Zeus in our King Rovan's hand, had dealt them quite a blow. Winter is in full force now, they pulled back to save themselves some dignity and prevent further losses. We will be ready if they decide to attack again when spring comes," Nydda was gentle but assertive.

To hear someone address Xander as Lord snapped Airin back to the fact that Xander was not just that guy-in-hoodie who painted a lot, stayed quiet, whip smart, also generally easy in his willingness to try any and all kind of food offered to him, rarely if ever smiled, and steadfastly kept an eye on his charge, Lyanna.

He was not just a man who lingered in the coldness of the shadow, a man with wonderful gifts and deep wounds, the one with surprisingly warm hug and comforting presence when needed.

He was not only all that, but also a high-ranking warrior, a brother to the king of Halgard, a member of the ruling family, a commander of the Halgardian guards, a guest in her life from another world, a world where mythology and reality enmeshed.

He was not just the Xander that she had grown to know more.

Xander nodded. "I understand, Nydda. I will return to Halgard."

Lyanna let out a loud whine. "I wish to see Father! But I also want to go to school here with Airin!" she shouted while scrambling to find Airin.

"Halgard is your home, Lyanna! Not here!" Nydda reprimanded the girl. Her grey eyes shone in displeasure.

"Can I ... stay ... Nydda, please, just a bit? There will be a birthday next week in class. It's Elena's birthday. She is my friend. I want to be there," Lyanna almost sobbed.

Airin grabbed her shoulder, and nodded at Nydda. "She can stay with me. I don't mind," she said, and Lyanna looked up to her with her eyes brimming with tears and a faint smile.