27 Whatever It Takes

DANIEL VOLKOV

"I need your phones for a moment, please," said Felix the next morning. We agreed to join forces with them. Packed a few things for a two-day trip, plus weapons. "It's just to make sure that CJ can't track us. You know, can't let Mr. Rossi get scared and take off."

Charlotte and Andrei shot me with concerned looks. I nodded in brief but firm reassurance, handing Felix mine first.

I already prepared for this. When CJ got here to check on us and found out we were gone, he'd find a note in my room with step-by-step instructions on what to do.

Raven straddled her motorcycle and slipped on her helmet. "Alright, there's five of you and four of us. We've got two bikers. Me and Malik. So we can take one of you each. Hugo's driving the truck. Felix sits in the front with him, because he needs to be on his laptop to control the traffic, among other things."

"My saddle is ready, angel." Malik smiled at Charlotte behind his sunglasses.

"I don't support animal abuse, but if that one talks again, these two will happily turn him into a roadkill." I warned Raven, pointing at Andrei and Niko who looked like they were planning how to disembowel Malik. Raven hiss at him to shut up. "No one is riding with him. The four of us will go with Hugo in the backseat."

"There's not enough space."

"We'll fit. Clara, let's go. Charlotte and Andrei, you're with us."

"Hey, what about me?" Niko stood alone, confused.

"Ride with your new girlfriend, since you like her so much that you didn't care to listen to me yesterday." I threw a peace sign at him over my shoulder. "See ya in four hours!"

The October weather was sunny, but windy. And Hugo's car smelled like something had died in it.

I sat behind him near the window. That way, I could stare at Felix's laptop screen and keep track of what he was doing. Clara scooted next to me, followed with Charlotte, leaving no room left for Andrei to squeeze his 6'4 height in.

"Hop on." I patted my thigh, smirking at Clara as she gave me a surprised look.

"You serious?"

"Scared it might turn you on? Try to control yourself, please. There are children present."

She pinched my arm, making me curse under my breath. But it was forgotten and forgiven the moment her ass made glorious contact on my cock as she settled on top of me.

I snaked my arm around her waist and shifted her toward the window, giving myself access to still see Felix's screen. My mouth hovered perfectly in the crook of her neck and I intertwined our hands together, playing with her fingers like my own set of stress toys.

"See, not too bad. Right?" I murmured, giving her soft flesh a kiss.

Goosebumps prickled her neck. "Shut up," she whispered.

Hugo fired the engine. Outside, the two motorcycles growled. Ten seconds later we took off, leaving our hiding spot behind us and headed toward the dangerous unknown.

We'd get to the underground bunker in...forty-three hours.

Less than two days. That was how much time I possibly had left. Which was...way shorter than I would've wanted.

All these years, I'd been so preoccupied with taking Tomasso down for what he'd done to my mom, I never considered who I would be or could be...after.

When Clara saved my life, I thought that maybe now I could. Maybe it was a sign. A chance, you know. To leave this corrupted lifestyle behind and...build an actual life. A fulfilling one. Whatever that meant. I never thought about it before until now. But...I knew one thing for certain. I could not imagine a fullfilling life without Clara in it.