5. Astrid Goes for a Spin

Start from the beginning

Their mom's smile turns softer and she puts her hands on Hero's shoulders. "Hero, I didn't put you in Dragon Training so you would be better than the others, I put you in there so you would learn how to defend yourself."

"But Astrid got ahead of me..."

"Damn, guess I am disappointed then."

"Wha-Mom!"

"Joking, joking!"

Hero shakes their head with a smile and sighs a bit, smiling at their small family. But then their smile turns into a small frown as they think of something and lightly pats their mother's shoulder. "Is it okay if I skip the competition and go for a stroll around berk? I don't really think I'll have fun watching people fight dragons." They say.

Their mother tilts her head in confusion. "Where exactly are you going?"

"I don't know. Just around berk."

"Then let Freya come with."

Hero quickly disagrees. "No! It's fine! Didn't I already prove that I don't need protection anymore? You can trust me, Mom."

"They're right." Freya agrees with a small nod. "They placed 3rd in dragon training, do you truly think they'll die or something?"

Their mom sighs deeply before softly smiling at Hero. "Okay, fine. You can go out and explore for however long you would like to, even past midnight." She responds. "But! You have until I wake up to still be out there which would be around 7am, okay?"

Hero gasps in excitement and their eyes sparkle. "Really!?"

"Yes. Don't make me regret this decision."

"I won't, Mom! I promise you I won't!"

-----

A Gronckle flies around the arena Hiccup and Astrid were competing in. The winner was the first one to take the dragon down.

Hiccup hides behind a wooden cover, cautiously watching the dragon. Astrid rolls over to his side and glares at him. "Stay out of my way." She demands. "I'm winning this thing."

"Good!" Hiccup says as Astrid sprints away. "Please, by all means!" He then stands up and turns to his father who gives him a thumbs up. Hiccup tries to look happy but his facade quickly fades away into an annoyed frown.

Astrid watches the Gronckle, quickly getting closer to it by moving from one wooden cover to another. She places her back on one and huffs. "This time, this time for sure!" She then jumps over the wooden covers in front of her with a yell while holding her ax in the air. But she quickly stops when she sees Hiccup standing next to a collapsed Gronckle.

He tries to motion for her to finish the job but he technically already won, angering Astrid.

"No!" She shouts, swinging her ax from side to side out of annoyance. "No! Son of a- half troll- rat eating...munge bucket!"

"Wait! Wait!" Stoick's voice boomed through the arena as Hiccup tried to flee.

"So...later."

"Oh-Oh, not so fast!" Gobbler interrupts, grabbing Hiccup by the back of his vest.

"I-I'm kinda late for-"

"What!?" Astrid demands, holding her ax to Hiccup's neck. "Late for what, exactly?"

"Okay, quiet down!" Stoick says. "The elder has decided."

Gobber points to Astrid and the elder shakes her head. But when he points to Hiccup...She nods and everybody starts to cheer.