Chapter 3 - Busy mornings

Febuary 10th, 1983. (2.10.83)

BAM! BAM! BAM!

all I heard before I immediately sat up, looking around in fear.

"Get up, Eli. I told you not to stay up." My dad said, still smacking two pans against each other, directly in my face.

I rubbed my eyes and stood up from the couch. He didn't even give me a blanket or anything throughout the night.

"Move it. You're already 15 minutes behind, and I gotta get to work." He stopped smacking the pans together and glared at me.

"You're walking today, son. I gotta go. The mornings are busy." He placed the pans down and grabbed his keys and bag.

"If I get a call today saying you're skipping or not even at school, it's your ass when I get back home." He followed up with, moving to the door and taking one final look at me.

"Have a good day, Eli." He walked out and slammed the door, locking it behind him.

I looked at the clock, it was 6:30. I only had like 25 minutes to get ready, and I still needed to shower. The only best thing to do in this situation is do an everything shower. I sprinted to the bathroom and turned on the shower, quickly sprinting to my room to lay out an outfit and all my stuff all together.

Today's gonna be a long day.

Authors note: Chapters do start to become longer as you continue with the story.

After rushing out of the house, I grabbed my bike, which was on the side of our house, and immediately started moving. School is 10 minutes away, and it's longer if you walk or there so happens to be traffic.

I rode on my bike as the neighbors waved to me.

"Hey Eli! Do you need a ride?" My neighbor yelled, still waving.

"No, thank you, Mrs. Jackson, I can get to school on this!" I yelled back, slowly going out into the distance.

"Alright, have a good day at school then, hon!" She stopped waving and sat back down next to her husband. They're an old couple, and they have been married for 30. They offer me to stay with them after school sometimes.

I continued riding my bike until I hopped off and forced it to stop, I was about to hit some girl who was just walking. I looked up to apologize until I recognized that face. It was Misty...

"I-i'm uh.."

"Don't apologize, it's okay." She reassured me before continuing to walk towards the building.

I looked at her and sighed. With that kind of conversation, we'll never be together. And I lost my words the second I looked at her, damnit.

I lowered my head and tied my bike against a pole, praying no one stole it.

I walked inside and looked around for my friends. They were in a circle holding onto each other's shoulders.

I slowly made my way, sneakily so they wouldn't notice me.

"Do you think He'll see me?"

"Relax, Mr. Bieber is old as fuck. He won't see you."

"Yeah, the last time someone was fighting, he was moving like a snail. We could've pulled off that fake hair he wears as if we know he doesn't have a big bald spot."

"Hey guys." They immediately backed out of the circle and looked at me, going dead silent.

"Hey Eli, my man." Dillian stepped forward, doing our handshake.

"What's going on?" I asked, fixing my hair.

"Ethan's trying to put a fake rat in Mr. Bieber coffee when he isn't looking."

"Classic." I laughed and looked at everyone who laughed with me.

Dillian was like our "leader", he wasn't good-looking by any means, and any time he tried hitting on a girl, they'd give him a stank look. He had dark brown hair, some hair above his lip, which he thought made him look cool.

And he dressed like a homeless guy. His shirts usually had stains, and honestly, he looked like an accidental baby. I still love him, though, as a brother.

Vicky came up to us and tapped Ethan's shoulder, moving her head to the hallway she had just come from. Ethan looked at her for a second and looked at us,

"I gotta bounce. Catch up with yall when the bell rings." He said, following behind Vicky.

He turned and walked backwards, mouthing something I didn't understand.

I looked away and would eventually know what he said whenever he came back.

"Eli, you should definitely join us. After gym, we're gonna start pushing seniors into lockers and just run. No matter what."

"Sounds like a plan-" I stopped talking when Misty walked past me. She smelled like vanilla, and she looked exetremely pretty toda-

"Earth to Elijah??" Andrew snapped his fingers in my face, and I turned to face him.

"Bro you have got to stop losing your words whenever she's near us, you look like a pussy." Dillian laughed and Andrew joined him, both of them hitting eachother.

"Whatever, she's pretty."

"Yeah, yeah, we get it. Anyways, gotta bounce, too. There's about to be a fight, and I don't wanna miss it." Andrew said, running off while the prinpical, Mrs. Choi yelled at him to stop running.

I looked at Dillian, and he nodded, we both followed behind Andrew.