ᴠɪ - ꜱᴛʀᴀɪɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴜᴅᴅᴇɴ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ

——STRAIGHT TO SUDDEN DEATH

WHEN SHE GOT TO cabin eleven, lilith didn't expect to be met with a crying odessa. but there she was. odessa's small frame hunched over her knees. from the door, lilith could hear small hiccups escaping her mouth. once the daughter of hecate realized what was going on, she rushed over to her friends side in worry.

"odessa!" lilith shouted, eyes frantically searching her body for anything out of the ordinary, "sweets, what's wrong?"

the red haired girl's hands were shaking. she took fast breaths in and out, the exact way she did when she was about to cry.

lilith immediately placed her hand on the girls back and said, "odessa, it's okay...tell me what's wrong and i'll fix it the best i can."

odessa looked up at the older girl, her eyes rimmed with tears, "you—" she hiccuped, "you can't f-ix it!"

lilith was confused. before she could say something, odessa's tears began to stream down her face.

"i'm sorry, but you need to tell me what's wrong. it's the only way." lilith tried to explain, she was always a bad comforter.

odessa sniffled, "i...i overheard some of the unclaimed kids talking about percy and how powerful his dad was.."

the girl paused, lilith rubbed her back.

"and i just go so—so mad..." she sounded hopeless, "why did he have to be picked?"

lilith didn't know what to say, "it's just how the gods work, sweets. we can't change it.."

she wanted to change it.

"it's not fair..." odessa whispered, "he's only been here for a week..he isn't good at anything. i've been here for a year. i've been practicing and practicing, but i just can't get picked."

lilith sighed, she knew odessa was right. she drew stars on her back. she wanted to tell odessa everything. about the quest. about percy. about zeus and poseidon's fighting. about the master bolt being stolen. but she couldn't. she felt like she had switched places with atlas, holding the whole sky on her back.

odessa kept talking, "the other kids have been here for years. it's not fair..not fair."

odessa and lilith paused. silence overcame the room.

a minute later, odessa whispered, "am i not enough..?"

lilith spoke clearly, hiding her emotions, "you know, odessa, you don't need a godly parent to be worth something...you can be incredibly powerful even without knowing who it is."

odessa looked up, her tears slowed down.

lilith rambled, not knowing what to say, "i mean—you'll be the best demigod to ever live no matter what. i know how important your mother is to you, but you don't need her. atleast not be the great. you'll do well when you're older, knowing or not knowing who she really is."

lilith looked down, hoping to see if her rapid words really worked.  the unclaimed girl stared blankly up at her friend, her eyes rimmed with red as dark as her hair. she slowly nodded in understanding.