Chapter 7: Doll-faces

Notes:

- Just a reminder that sentences written in italics are memories.

____________________

Chris' head peeked above the couch slightly before she shot up. "Nightwing! Thank goodness!"

Marinette stood up slowly behind her.

Nightwing nodded at her, his eyes briefly flicking to Marinette before looking out the door. "We need to go. We've evacuated everyone else."

Chris nodded and followed behind him, grabbing Marinette's hand.

Marinette stared at the back of his head, watching as he held his hand up to his ear and whispered something.

-&-

Robin punched another doll-face (that's what he called the Pig's henchmen). "Copy that. On my way. I won't leave her side."

He turned to Red Hood. "Nightwing needs me." Red Hood nodded as he took a punch to the face, shaking it off before returning it.

Robin searched his surroundings, looking for the fire escape. He spotted a civilian running out a door. "Bingo." He caught it before it closed and slipped in.

As he ran up the stairs, he grumbled. She'd just been attacked and here she was being the victim of yet another. It was too soon. It couldn't have been a coincidence.

His feet stopped abruptly as he heard voices from above. "Miss, you need to let me help you. You're only slowing us down."

Another voice said something intangible. His feet resumed their movement as he ran up to meet them.

Chris' eyes went wide as she saw him appear. "Robin?"

Nightwing turned to meet him, his arm reaching out to an annoyed looking Marinette. "How many left?"

Not even a 'Hey Robin, thanks for being here so quick?'. "I can't say. When one goes down, another appears. The pig hasn't even shown himself."

Nightwing nodded. His eyes returned to Marinette, her hand gripping her side before quickly removing it when she saw that he was watching. "She's refusing to cooperate. Can I leave her with you while I take the other?"

Before Robin could respond, Chris did it for him. "No! I'm not leaving her side."

Nightwing stared at her, his eyes softening as he watched her grab Marinette's arm tighter. He sighed and rubbed a hand down his face. He turned to Robin before he pushed him out of the way and hit someone behind him. The doll-face fell, a loud thud echoing as it hit the floor, the impact heavy.

He yanked Chris' arm away, ignoring her protests. "Robin, whatever you need to do, do it. Just get her out." He sped down the steps, in his arms an angry Chris.

Robin turned to Marinette and she glared at him. "I'll follow from behind, but you are not carrying me."

He frowned. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped as something moving caught his eye. He grabbed her before she could move away and jumped over the railing.

He grunted as her foot made impact with his stomach.

He pulled her into a set of doors that led into a hallway, before pulling them both into a janitor's closet. He placed a hand over her mouth and pushed them against a wall, resulting in a barely missed punch to the face from the woman.

"I'm trying to save your life!" he whispered. His hand flew off as she bit him, hard.

"I don't care." she whispered back. "You're rude."