Chapter 5: No Time To Be Weak

Her eyes ripped open and her mind went numb as she tried to focus on her surroundings.

A shiver went down her spine as she felt the initial wave of fear one always does when waking up in seemingly unfamiliar surroundings with no memory of what happened before falling asleep.

Slowly, her eyes adjusted to her surroundings and her body relaxed.

She seemed to be building a habit of waking up with a foggy memory.

She sat up and threw off her blankets, waking Tikki.

Tikki rubbed her eyes and yawned, watching her chosen as she stood up and stiffly walked towards the door.

Marinette reached under her pajamas and pulled out the hospital stickers before chucking them in her paper bin.

She stretched her arms, wincing at the pain from her side.

She grasped the door handle.

Poor Chris would be worried again.

She turned it.

-&-

"So we still don't know who or what they were looking for?"

Robin locked eyes with Red Robin before shaking his head.

Red Hood huffed. "I still don't understand. What would they want at a hospital? Red Robin, shouldn't you have pulled up a list of all of the hostages yet? Maybe someone of interest?"

Red Robin shook his head. "No one of interest. They could've been looking for anything."

Nightwing eyed Red Hood. "You were first at the scene Red Hood. And you seemed distracted when the shooting started. Did you see anything?"

Red Hood stayed silent as all eyes fell on him.

His mind flashed to the other figure.

He shook his head. "I saw nothing of interest."

Robin and Red Robin broke off into their own worlds. However, Nightwing's gaze remained on Red Hood, watching as he pulled a hand through his hair.

As he turned around, Red Hood's eyes caught Nightwing's.

Red Hood's eyebrows furrowed. Nightwing broke their locked eyes and walked out of the room, Red Hood watching him go.

-&-

"You're sitting out of this one. I can do the rest alone."

"Chris, I'll just do a few stitches. It'll just take a few minutes."

Chris stayed silent, quickly making a few final touches. "Marinette, sweetie. You went through a lot last night." She turned to Marinette. "The hospital called me before I saw the news. Hostages held at gunpoint in suspected Polish robbery. That was the headline."

She stood up from her chair. "Marinette, I live in Gotham. I've been a victim of a fair share of robberies. I know that you can work, but you need to know when to stop. You seem to have trouble knowing when to stop. You may be okay now, but there will be times when your body can't handle it."

Marinette's eye twitched.

"You need to let your body heal so that you can work at your most efficient. I don't want your health to interfere with my products. I know that you're a gem at your work, you could probably make a hat with your eyes blindfolded. But I need you on top form, especially in front of the customers. What would've happened if you'd fainted in front of Mr Grayson?"

Marinette's shoulders slumped in defeat.

She knew better. She was also a business owner.

She knew better than to let her personal life compromise her work.