Chapter Five: Please Stay

(Phil's POV)

[After Dan is Out of the Bath]

I got done washing Dan and dried him off, dressing him in the clothes I got out earlier. I sat him back on the bathroom counter, leaving him there as I drained the tub. I returned to Dan, standing in front of him and gently feeling through his hair. It  was tangled badly and matted in certain places. The bath helped some but not much.

I gathered a comb, along with my hairdryer and got started meticulously combing through his hair, taking my time to make sure it was completely smooth and tangle free. Dan just sat still, purring quietly as I worked, obviously liking my actions. I combed through everything one last time before I picked up my hair drier, plugging it in and turning it on. I then proceeded to dry his hair, gigging when I was finished. His hair was now completely curly and poofy.

"I love your hair Dan. Makes you look like an adorable little hobbit." I commented, about to pick him up again to take him to the guest bedroom when he stopped me.

"Might you happen to have a flat iron?" Dan asked, frowning as he ran his hands through his freshly dried hair. I pouted, not wanting to straighten his cute mess of curls. I nodded nonetheless, wanting to make Dan as happy as I could, and went to get my hair straightener from my room.

I came back, plugging it in and leaving it to heat up as I went about cleaning the bathroom up. Dan sat patiently on the counter, his legs pulled up to his chest and his ears standing upright as he watched me.

I went back to the now hot iron, picking it up and very carefully straightening every curl on Dan's head, concentrating on not burning the young boy. I finished quickly enough, since I'm used to straightening my own hair, and have gotten fairly good at it. After I had put the iron down, turning it off and placing it far away from Dan, I let him turn around and look in the mirror.

He spun around, leaning in close to the glass, looking at himself like he didn't believe it was his own reflection. As if he read my thoughts, I hear Dan whisper to himself, "It's been so long...I forgot what I looked like."

My heart broke slightly hearing him say those words, but I dismissed the feeling, not saying anything. After a couple minutes I came up behind him, picking him up and carrying him into the guest bedroom. I sat him in the bed, ruffling his hair. He smiled, nuzzling into my hand purring loudly.

"You should get some sleep Daniel." I say, pulling the sheets back so that he can crawl under them. He scurries underneath the soft fabric, curling into a ball. I turn around, about to leave, when I hear a small voice call out to me. I turn around, looking at the little figure staring up at me from the bed.

"Yes Dan?" I ask.

"What happens in the morning? Are you just going to put me back out there?" His voice sounded unusually sad, and I was taken aback by the question. I walk over to the bedside, crouching next to it so that I could look at him properly.

"Of course not Dan. Not unless you want me to. In all honesty, I was hoping if you would please stay. I want you to be mine. I'd love to have you." I propose, looking down, scared of his response.

I don't hear anything for a couple seconds. I look up to find Dan in deep thought, His ears are folded down as his eyes are fixed on his hands. He turns to look at me, his eyes full of worry and insecurity. His voice sounds squeaky and timid as he speaks.

"You won't abandon me?" He inquires, a small amount of hope visible on his features. I shake my head. "Ever?" he immediately says, looking at me with gleaming eyes. I smile, taking his hand and kissing the top of it affectionately.

"Never Ever"